Just adopted diabetic senior

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ollie's Mama, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ollie's Mama

Ollie's Mama New Member

Hi, I'm Margaret, and now Oliver's mama. I'm an experienced kitty mom, but Ollie's diabetes is a first. I'm a retired RN, however, so that helps some. I adopted Oliver just 16 days ago from the local FACE low cost clinic/shelter where he'd been for ten months, since his former human surrendered him when he was dx'd with DM in May 2016.

My last cat baby died, age 17, in 2015, and after fostering a hospice kitty last year, I was finally searching for what I am thinking probably will be my last kitty baby ((I'm 73). Based on my experience with cats over my lifetime, I specifically wanted a sociable, affectionate male age 5-9 yrs. Oliver popped up almost immediately in my online search. He's half Siamese and possessed all the characteristics I was searching for. After applying and being accepted, I went for the meet & greet--and it was love at first sight for both of us! I went out and bought some classic Fancy Feast and litter, took it home, brought out the litter box, bed, feeding dishes & matching placemats from storage, set it all up--then went back to the clinic and brought him home that day--March 14. He settled in quickly, and within 24 hrs we were joined at the hip.

Oliver weighs 8.8, and is on Vetsulin 3u q12 hrs, on wet Purina DM mixed 1:1 with classic Fancy Feast in effort to reduce cost of food. I'm not home testing, at least not yet. Vet visit today, and his glucose level was 176 (6 hrs postprandial & insulin); pancreatic and liver enzymes within normal limits, so thankfully no pancreatitis. He is a beautiful, so sweet and loving little guy, and I am so thankful we found each other!

I'm thrilled to find this website, and expect I will be checking in regularly. I'm VERY impressed with the quality of information available here, and the support demonstrated among the participants.

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Margaret and Oliver. Welcome to FDMB. Bless you for adopting a sugar kitty.

If you have any questions post them on the Health board.

Ollie's Mama likes this.
  3. Lillie

Lillie Member

Bless your heart for rescuing a diabetic senior kitty. What a wonderful thing to do for Oliver who had been at the shelter for so long. I hope your time together is a blessing for both of you.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You are fantastic! We are happy to help if you need us! The perscription food is expensive and not necessary.... Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate. :)

Ollie's Mama likes this.
  5. Ollie's Mama

Ollie's Mama New Member

Just an update. Oliver has done so well. He's gained back 3 much needed pounds since coming to live with me and getting his diabetes well regulated. He's maintained that weight for six months now. At the same time, his insulin needs have decreased to 2 units Vetsulin 2x/day. I only do random testing now, and just pay close attention for any signs of hyper- and hypo-glycemia-- urine volume, water consumption, feeding, activity. Last vet visit fructosamine level was 140!
    I appreciate the support and wonderful advice I've found on this forum. You've been great! A huge thank you!

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Excellent report! :D

Noah & me (GA) and JeffJ like this.
  7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Oliver, you've never had it so good. The world needs more people like Margaret.

Ollie's Mama likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Glad he's doing well. Don't slack with the testing. You really should always get a preshot test and try to get at least one mid cycle number. Things can change so quickly.

Ollie's Mama likes this.
  9. Ollie's Mama

Ollie's Mama New Member

Awww, thank you Noah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.