Just cant get the numbers to go down

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by WendyG, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WendyG

WendyG Member

Hey everyone. I just don't understand why Tyson's numbers aren't getting better. I keep upping his doses after a few days and he just seems to continue to need more. We get a few yellows here and there and even got one random blue the other night, but I feel like I'm just going to be filling the syringe until it cant handle anymore insulin one day. I did a curve on Saturday. Would y'all mind taking a look and see if he seems to be making any progress or if you can offer any advice to me. Thanks in advance!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Actually, he is doing better: no recent black numbers and the curve shows a nice 50% drop from PS to nadir. The curve tells us the dose is still too low. I recommend increasing to 2.75 u next dose, holding that dose no more than 4 cycles and increasing again. They can get stuck if left in high numbers from an ineffective dose. You reduce the rate of dose increase once you see more blues and hopefully dark greens on your spreadsheet. :)

Djamila likes this.
  3. WendyG

WendyG Member

Really? Okay, I didn't think it was a very good curve, but comparing to his last curve, which was basically flat, I guess I see your point. At least it was an actually curve LOL. I was worried that just a few days ago starting him on 4 feeds a day would possibly have made this past Saturday a bad time to do a curve.. but I guess it was okay. Thanks Kris, I'll up his dose tonight. I was planning on doing that anyway, to a 3.0, as my U40's make it hard to judge the .25 marks. I appreciate the feedback.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Try to eyeball the 2.75 u dose. It's too easy to miss a good dose when you increase by 0.5 u. Make yurself a reference syringe using coloured water that contains your best eyeballed estimate of a 2.75 u dose and use it as a guide. Repeat for other quarter units doses as needed.

It takes a while to learn to read a spreadsheet's patterns. you'll get there! ;)

5. Tilou

Tilou Member

I can sympathise fully with you. Bob's numbers are a nightmare at the moment - not helped by my giving him a fur shot this morning and getting a 30+ (mmol) reading at +5 :banghead:

Knowing that anything above 30 gives him incontinence I've had no option but to give 1ui to try and get it down a little - as he's not due a shot for 7 hours by which time he'll probably hit +40!

:(

6. WendyG

WendyG Member

Oh I totally empathize with you on this. I gave my first fur shot last night and I'm not sure how, as my Tyson doesn't have that much fur LOL! Hugs!

Tilou likes this.
  7. WendyG

WendyG Member

Will do, thanks Kris!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.