"Just diabetes"

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melanie and Smokey, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Finally got the battery in the meter changed and the numbers aren't pretty today :sad: My flat green girl is all yellow and pink.

She got into Tiger's room for less than a minute on the sitter on Saturday, but she didn't think Smokey got any food before she caught her (I warned her she'd be a sneak) and the SD light has been put away since then so she hasn't had access to any bad food for a month and we are seeing numbers we haven't seen since the first dance.

I had a bad feeling that the pancreatitis was flaring, she's been vomiting her food more though the last few days have been better.

Maybe I am jumping the gun and should watch longer, but we are going to the vet's in the morning and probably check her lypase numbers again and see if we should get back on a little insulin to get these numbers down so her pancreas isn't having to work on so many issues at once. I just don't like these numbers. They are not normal for her at all.

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

People are reacting to me kind of funny because I am happy that this just appears to be Smokey's diabetes and she needs a dental cleaning.

Isn't it odd how, when we face it the first time, it can scare the pants off of us? But this time, I am happy that it is not the pancreatitis, those numbers have held steady, her liver numbers are all fine. It is just her BGs. She needs a dental and some insulin to bring down those BGs and hopefully we can give her pancreas some time to heal and get producing some insulin again, if not, we can treat diabetes. I was so scared it was the pancreatitis winning the battle on her pancreas. Diabetes we know, we can do. We don't want to. But we can.

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

you bet!

We have been treating some liver issues with Squeak, and we were faced with the possibility of using steroids. I knew it would tip him back into full diabetes but I definitely have a much higher comfort level now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.