Just diagnosed 3 days ago.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lorie and Leroy, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorie and Leroy

Lorie and Leroy New Member

Hi, I'm Lorie, and I'm from Canada. I just found out a few days ago that Leroy has diabetes and while researching I found this site. I'm happy to have a place that answers all of my questions.
    Leroy has always been my "Phat Cat". He was around 25 lbs at his highest weight. I also have other kitties in the home. I have switched all of them to grain free wet food as well as grain free dry for the one cat who refuses wet food.
    Back to Leroy. Over the past couple of months I have noticed that he has lost a pile of weight. He now weighs 16 lbs. He has also started peeing on the floor! I also noticed the self watering water dish is empty each morning. I recently found him lying beside the dish drinking... Off to the vet we went. Thankfully the blood test revealed no damage to his kidneys but his glucose was 26.5. / 477. The Vet prescribed ProZinc. 3 units every 12 hours. Last night was his first dose and I was surprised to wake up to find NO Pee on the floor. Hurray!!
    His glucose was 19.4 last night and 19.1 this morning. Both samples taken after a meal before injection. Im in the process of doing a curve chart today. 2 hours after injection. 16.5. ppmol.

Leroy is normally not very social doesn't like to be picked up or be fussed over. So far doing the ear pricks and injections hasn't been too hard because he feels miserable. However, I'm worried that once he starts feeling better he won't let anyone near him again. Any ideas to make the ear pricks easier would be greatly appreciated.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome Lorie and Leroy. There is a wealth of information here on the board, as well as advice and the support of the community. I'm so glad you are home testing, it's one of the very best ways to keep your kitty safe. A reward for every test, successful or not, with a yummy low carb treat is a good way to reinforce the idea that testing is a good thing, some also treat at injection time. We always gave the injection while Idjit was eating and he never seemed to pay attention.
    Take some time to read the stickies at the top of the Prozinc forum, and post there for advice about the insulin dosage. Also, it's a good idea to create your signature so that members have info about Leroy, and we use a spreadsheet to track injections and BG test results. Then, if and when you have questions, issues and/or concerns that information is readily available.
    Signature: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    Spreadsheet: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/suggestions-tech-support-testing-area.6/
    General health questions can be posted on the Feline Health (Main Forum)

Jill & Jade likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! That is a really large starting dose. The normal starting dose is 1u twice a day. So, it is a good thing that you are testing so you can make sure his blood sugar does not go too low! There is a ProZinc forum where you can post with insulin-specific questions (like about dosing), and any other questions can be posted on the main health forum. You will get a lot of good advice and support here,

4. Lorie and Leroy

Thank you for the warm welcome. I've added the signature but it is a work in progress. He must be feeling better this morning. I tried to give him his shot while he was eating.. but he hissed at me. I waited until he was finished and gave it to him then.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. You said you tested AFTER the meal. You want to test before feeding. No food for at least 2 hours. Test, then feed, then shoot.

Great job learning to test already

Jill & Jade likes this.
  6. Lorie and Leroy

I definately tested before. Then again a few hours later. I just tested again when I got home from work. It was 3.5 / 63. It has been 10 hours since his shot. He is due for another in 2 hours. What if it doesn't go back up? Should I skip the dose or lower it?

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Let's see what it is. If it's over 200 shoot. If it's under, write on the ProZinc board. They may suggest you stall, or reduce, or skip depending on what it is.

8. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

I can see already that you’re getting the help you need! Bravo to you for finding this forum, reaching out and following their advice. It’s a leap of faith, and you are in good hands. They saved my cays life.
    Best of everything to you!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.