Just diagnosed--I have a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Arkali, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkali

Arkali Member

Hi, everyone!
    I'm so glad this forum is here. Gypsy is about 12 or 13 years old. We found her at a dump when she was a kitten years ago, and I'm not 100% what her age is. She was a kitten when we brought her home, but I didn't really track that date :)

Anyway, she was diagnosed Monday with diabetes. Her blood sugar was 700+ (vets glucometer tops out at 700). She spent three days at the vet's and came home Wednesday evening. She seems to being doing fairly well. I'm just trying to get up to speed with everything and also trying not to kick myself for not seeing the signs sooner. She had wobbly back legs (I assumed it was arthritis), and she was drinking / peeing a lot, but assumed that was from the occasional steroid shot she got to help with the "arthritis."

My cats were also all on dry food--I thought it was healthier. They ate a good-quality food (Natural Balance), and I just though I was doing right by them, you know? I was horrified to learn that I basically caused my cat to get diabetes and the others have probably been chronically dehydrated :-(

I've been reading as much as I can and have a couple of questions. Quick update:
    1) Two cats are off of dry food--Gypsy and Buddy. Our third cat, Emmy, has been difficult (she's addicted her corn chips!), but she ate tonight after I seeded her bowl with a handful of kibble. After she got a couple of bites in her, she chowed down. No idea if she'll eat again tomorrow, but I'll take it. The food I switched them to is Fancy Feast Classic Pates, the lower-carb, higher protein, non-fish flavors.

2) I am testing Gypsy four times daily. Before meals, giving her a shot of insulin as needed (if over 400 BG, 2 units Lantus, between 250 and 400, 1 unit, under 250, no Lantus). It's still taking a lot of pricks as I get the hang of things, but I finally found her sweet spot, which for her is pretty much at the tip of her ear. She's being a saint though--I still have all my fingers :p

3) She came home Wednesday night and had had a shot at the vet's, so the new protocol started Thursday morning. The vet suggested Royal Canin Glycobalance. We're not doing that for (a) the cost, (b) not low enough carb.

4) Her blood sugar is all over the place. This morning it was 197, so no Lantus. I didn't get to check it after breakfast--we had painters out here and all the cats disappeared for the day. Before dinner it was 414, I think (log sheet is in the other room--sorry!), so I gave her the 2 units of Lantus then put down the cats' dinner for the night. After meal (about an hour later), her BG was in the low 300s.

So, my big question--is it normal for it to be bouncing around like that at first?

Follow-up concerns: She's poor as a snake right now. She drastically lost weight the past few weeks. I chalked it up to aging :-( She's also got (has had for years now) really flaky skin. I don't know if that's diabetes related or just her. She seems to be feeling lots better--I could tell over the weekend before we took her to the vet that she felt miserable. But I'm still worried she's going to die on us. Which I know is going to happen eventually--we all die :p --but I'm hoping it's not her time yet. And I'm trying really hard not to freak her out and not to freak my husband out, but I'M freaking out.

Thanks to everyone who read all this. I'm a bit of a mess right now. Thank you again!

beggargirl likes this.
  2. Arkali

Arkali Member

ALSO!! Omigosh. Okay, I'm diabetic (brought about by crappy eating and also developing lupus). And I'm off the juice thanks to eating keto. BUT... the dosage for Gypsy seems so tiny. I worry I got the wrong syringe or something, though I gave the pharmacist what the vet gave me and checked to make sure I understood how to read the numbers. But it's really really small. And I also worry I'm not giving it to her because it does seem like such a small shot--it's like I'm not giving her anything. But I check her fur after to make sure it's not wet. So far, so good. Am I worrying for nothing on that?

And holy crow--the Lantus was $300 for the bottle. I'm comforting myself that it should last awhile :p

3. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Hello, I've been here for 6 months so I don't give dose advice. I leave that to the experts. But I can tell you to get on the Lantus Forum. They can definitely help you. You can get someone's help to set up a spreadsheet.SS

Next time you buy Lantus go to the "Supply Closet" People sell Lantus for a Lot less money than you paid. I was using a Lantus pen. I don't shoot with the pen but use a syringe to draw the insulin. I just prefer to buy a smaller amount than the vial( a lot of money!)

You'll need to provide some info what time zone are you in,You can go to my condo & look how the information is written in my signature. You do not need to use the expensive meter the vet advises. A lot of people here use a Relion meter from Walmart the test strips cost inder $20 for 100.

You will also need to start reading the Yellow sticky notes to learn about the insulin & how it works. And a whole lot of other stuff. It's a bit overwhelming but just take your time it will get easier.

One more thing NO Dry food. Don't feed dry food to any of your cats. Some believe it can cause Diabetes!

You're in the right place! The people here know more than most vets about Diabetes. They will help you & your Kitty.

I had a kitty named Gypsy many years ago. She lived to be 22 yrs old!

Best of Luck. You can look at my Ravan's spreadsheet to get an idea of how one looks. It's very helpful.

I'll be checking in on you! :) :bighug:

4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I'm confused about the name you have on Kitties photo? Is her name Gypsy or Arkali?

Also, we all have gone thru "freaking out" My Ravan dropped to 36 this morning & I was freaking out a bit too. That's why I'm up now, to check him!
    It will get easier! :)

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

1 unit really looks like a drop but that's correct. What size is your syringes? If you are using 1ml or 0.5 ml is harder too see. If you get 0.3 (3/10) with half unit markings it's the same measurment of insulin but a little easier to see and draw up at these small doses because the barrel holds less.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good job switching to wet food.

Next time she's under 200 try stalling 20 min and see if the number is going up. 197 was close enough to 200 that I'm sure it would have been fine and you can always pay on the lantus forum is you want dosing /shot advice.

Great job testing already! Here's a link to our spreadsheet template
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!
    Well done with swapping the food over to the low carb canned and for home testing !!!
    Lantus works best if dosed at the same dose every 12 hours.
    Yes it is normal for the cats blood sugars to bounce around a bit, especially in the beginning but chopping and changing the dose based on the preshot is not the best way to dose cats and will contribute to the blood sugar levels being all over the place.
    Lantus is a depot insulin and likes consistency.
    Here we base the dose on the nadir, or the lowest point in the cycle that the insulin takes the cats blood sugar NOT the Preshot.
    We hold the dose for at least 3 days (unless the cat drops too low and if that happens we reduce the dose). Then if needed the dose is increased based on the nadir during those 3 previous days only by 1/4 unit (0.25 units) at a time..
    Many cats lose weight in the beginning of FD because their bodies can't absorb all the nutrients in the foods because of the high blood sugars. They are often very hungry as a result. Gypsy will put on more weight as her blood sugars return to normal.

Can you put what type of glucose monitor you are using in the signature please. Thanks.
    I also recommend you post over on the Lantus forum where they are many experienced people to help you.
    Have a look at the two protocols we follow here. Read these through and think about which one would suit you best.
    Link below.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/start-low-go-slow-method-slgs.129446/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/tight-regulation-protocol-tr.1581/

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! This is the very best place for help and support. You've already tackled the thing that many new members dread aside from giving insulin - testing BG at home. It's the essential tool to keep your kitty safe and monitor her progress.

I also encourage you to post on the Lantus forum. There are excellent guidelines in the yellow info stickies on how to dose Lantus and many very experienced people to help you figure this out. :)

9. Arkali

Arkali Member

Sorry--Arkali is my user name. Gypsy is my kitty. I'd change my user name, but I can't for 90 days :)

And thank you for the meter advice. I actually already had a meter (I'm diabetic too, though I'm off insulin and only test once in a blue moon now). It happens to be the same meter my vet uses (OneTouch Delica).

Thanks so much for the well wishes :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    JanetNJ likes this.
  10. Arkali

Arkali Member

Bron, thank you so much, and I'm so sorry about Sheba.

I use the OneTouch Delica meter. I already had it and it's also what my vet uses. I'll read over both of those links--thank you. I also borrowed your signature format. Hopefully mine's more helpful now :)

Thank you again!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome. As said above Lantus is a depot insulin so the reservoir needs to build. Normally you start at .5 units every 12 hours and keep that for 7 days.

Lantus dosage is based on the low number (nadir) in one 12 hour cycle. Usually between 5-7 hours after the shot. Lantus is not given on a sliding scale. You might want to read up on that as your vet might not be familiar with how it works.

Arkali likes this.
  12. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thanks, @Olive & Paula . That makes sense. When I was taking insulin myself, I took the Lantus twice daily (fixed dose) and then a shot of Novolog (I think was the name of it) with each meal, and that *was* a sliding scale. I think I am going to print a copy of the SL; GS protocol and take it with me to the vet for Gypsy's follow-up.

Olive & Paula likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.