Just diagnosed--On Vetsulin and recovering from DKA

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lori Jo and Goat, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori Jo and Goat

Lori Jo and Goat New Member

Hi - we almost lost our Goat (age 7) two days ago because of severe ketoacidosis. Brought him home late yesterday, and he's improved, but still not even close to his old self. We see the vet tomorrow morning for another blood glucose and urine test, and we may be adjusting his 2 x day dosage on Vetsulin. It's wonderful to have this message board to post questions. I've just started reading through some of the messages, and I am so thankful other people are willing to share their stories, tips, and expertise on this subject. Not a lot of people understand how much we love our cats, and it's awesome to know there are others like me out there! We'll keep tabs with each other to check on our sugarcats' progress. (I'm learning the new vocabulary and lingo as I go along . . .) ~ lorijo

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Re: Just diagnosed

Lor Jo, please start a new thread so your post will get the proper attention. Are you aware that there has been a warning about Vetsulin? Please start your own thread --- just hit New Topic and write your message--so we can get to know you and your circumstances. Thanks in advance.

Gia & Quirk (GA)

Guilt trips are a detour from life.

3. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Re: Just diagnosed--Diabetic Goat on Vetsulin recovering frm DKA

Do you home test? And have you read the messages about the Vetsulin recall? I think you should discuss that with your vet *right away*. Is you cat eating and drinking since bringing him home?

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

LOL, Karen. Her pet is a goat.

5. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

No, I think his name is Goat? "Not a lot of people understand how much we love our cats, "

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

OMG, Karen, I thought I sent that as a PM. Hangs head in shame for correcting someone on the Board.

You are right. Goat is the name, cat is the species. I thought we were going to have some uncertainty with a diabetic goat. We've managed a ferret, but a goat?

To get back on track. Lori Jo, I am sorry to hear that Goat has been so sick. There's lots of info here about treating diabetic cats.

Given Goat was DKA, you need to be especially vigilant about testing his urine for ketones. You can pick up test strips at the pharmacy--either ketostrips that test for ketones only, or ketodiastix that test for both ketones and glucose. The easiest way to test is to stick the strip in the urine strip as Goat is peeing, but if that's a problem, we have lots of tricks.

Five top steps for properly treating a diabetic cat.

1. Hometesting blood glucose levels using a glucometer.
    2. Using an appropriate insulin.
    3. Feeding low-cab wet food (unless there is another health issue to take into account)
    4. Watching for stress and infections, which can raise blood glucose levels.
    5. Testing for ketones, especially if the cat has been DKA or is running high blood glucose levels.

Here is a link to information about the problem with Vetsulin. My own vet is still dispensing it, but many vets and FD caregivers think it should be avoided if there is an acceptable alternative. The insulins used the mst around here are Lantus and Levemir (both human insulins) and ProZinc (a veterinary PZI insulin).

We can show you how to hometest Goat's blood glucose level. Most of us here use a human glucometer instead of the more expensive veterinary models. Many of us believe that hometesting is the first best thing you can do to keep a diabetic cat safe and well. Given the DKA, I would suggest that you pick one up from a pharmacy ASAP. Many pharmacies have a good, low-cost (often because of sales) meter on their shelves.

Best of luck, LoriJo, and please let us know what we can do to help Goat. After my huge blunder, I will never forget Goat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.