Just diagnosed today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bruce & Smokey, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce & Smokey

Bruce & Smokey New Member

I got a call at work this afternoon from my vet, who said that Smokey is not only diabetic, "he's VERY diabetic." Blood sugar was 483, fructosamine was 645. So, oy, now what? I did a quick web search and found this site. Seems like good articles on here. Are you folks satisfied with the website? It apparently hasn't been updated since 2013. But this forum seems to be active. I'm babbling. I'm glad there are places like this, and I would appreciate any advice I can find or get. Thank you.

2. Wesley and Spicoli

Wesley and Spicoli Member

I'm a newbie myself, but the folks here are extremely helpful! Home testing is a must. By doing this you'll be able to see how your cat is responding to insulin. Shooting blind (without testing blood glucose) can be deadly. Not trying to scare you. My personal experience was that my vet had my cat on too high a dose and if I hadn't caught the changes he could have easily gone into hypo and died while I was at work. Also, diet is very important. I think most everyone here feeds their cat a low carb/high protein diet, preferably one that's 10% or less in carbs. Prescription diets aren't necessary and very expensive. I've had nice results with Fancy Feast Classic. He's a wet food junkie so I haven't tried dry low carb foods. This doesn't necessarily work for everyone - every cat is different. There are some great links on the front page with lots of handy info. Take some time to read them.

Shots and ear prickings can be scary st first. I know I was super nervous for the first week or 2. You'll get it. Just like anything else it takes time and practice.

There are also forums for the different types of insulin. The people there have experience with exactly what you're using. Ask questions, I know I do. There is usually always someone around that can answer questions for you.

When in doubt call your vet.

Hope this is at least a little helpful. Good luck with your EXTRA sweet kitty :) He's handsome!

For most of your questions you'll want to head over to the Health forum. It's monitored much more than this one.

Yong & Maury GA and JanetNJ like this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sorry about the diagnosis but you definitely found the right place. There's tons of advice and helpful advice at the top of the forums and lots of people to answer specific questions.

Has helped been started on insulin yet?

My best advise is to get him on low carb wet food.... Nothing with gravy. Most people on here feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate. Prescription food is no better... And the dry prescription food is way too high in carbs. No cat treats other then real meat or catnip.

Can't stress this enough: learn how to home test. It's the only way to be sure he's safe and to know if a dose is too much or too little.
    You can get a pet meter like the Alphatrak or if cost is a factor, a human meter such as the relion micro from Walmart.

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome! You've found the best support group for YOU and Smokey :bighug:
    Yes, the forum is very active. Filled with tons of information, but some of the most invaluable information is provided by fellow members and their experiences. :)

Please put some information in your signature: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    And then feel free to start a thread on the Main Health Forum :cat:. Ask any questions and remember, the only stupid question is the one not asked ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.