Just diagnosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joyce and Max, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joyce and Max

Joyce and Max New Member

Max is 7 and was losing weight and drinking from the sink all the time. I was worried about him being diabetic and sure enough, last night's tests said he was. I have not heard from the vet about what treatment and diet will be but if any one has suggestions on what to do when first diagnosed, I would love to hear them.
    My first time in a Forum so bear with me.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

For detailed quested please post in the main Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. Joyce and Max

Joyce and Max New Member

Thank you everyone for your information, and Larry and Kitties. It seems daunting right now for me, but I have watched the video's and since I deal with a lot of rescued cats and have 5 of my own, I feel comfortable testing Max, or I will be. I will get the human glucometer at the pharmacy today. I was told to mention that I am in Canada as the tools to use on Max will be different from those in the U.S.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes, a BG meter and srips are more expensive in Canada than the USA. On the other hand insulin is cheaper in Canada than the USA.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Joyce. A hearty welcome to you and Max. :)

Glad you found FDMB - it is a great place to learn about feline diabetes and its treatment, plus a whole lot more besides. There are many very knowledgeable members here and it is a very friendly and supportive community. Things can be overwhelming at first, but we'll do all we can to help and support you both as you learn.

Mogs

6. Laurie D.

Laurie D. Member

This is my second cat with diabetes. My first cat responded with Prozinc well with no change in diet. However, Miss Scarlette is not. She is on Lantus which is supposed to be the best. She did good at first but do not let the vet put your cat on Purina DM. I just learned from this site it is way too high in carbs and will prevent the sugar from coming down. I learned here, and a new vet said, Fancy Feast (high in protein/low in carbs) Classic or Iams kitten food is best. The new vet said that! So, they agree with people on here and I am loving that right now. Get our own glucometer. Not difficult to check and will save you money in the long run. Yes, mine cost about $70-80, and the strips were even $70 when I replaced them, but I think you get 100. It is still cheaper than taking your cat in just for a glucose check, when you could do it yourself and call the vet with the result. As for me? I am changing my gal's food this evening! We will be doing checks all throughout the weekend.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Laurie D. likes this.
  8. Laurie D.

Laurie D. Member

Thank you! So sorry it took me so long to get back on here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.