Just Diagnosed yesterday

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Craig O, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig O

Craig O New Member

Hello all,

I have a 13yr old male tabby that was diagnosed yesterday by the vet. We were assuming it could be it (diabetes) and it was. He's lost over 5 pound through the last year (I think 3 lbs my wife thinks 5lbs) haha.

Not sure if this is appropriate through the introduction but the vet did the whole blood work to find this out instead of just the ear prick. Vet bills can be costly and we've been though a few things with our other cat (Thyroid issues 13yr old as well) and our dog (Kidneys 9yrs old) so a lot in the past 2-3 yrs.

My question through this, is with the symptoms, shouldn't the vet have recommended us to go for the ear prick first for cost effectiveness? I realize they don't want to bear the weigh of moral dilemmas and would rather pass them on to the owners for a decision, but shouldn't their experience guide us to make certain choices? Or am I reaching too far here?

I just feel cheated out of some money I guess and we had switched to this vet due to a similar event at our other one.

Regards,
    Craig

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Your vet did a full blood panel to determine that your cat was diabetic? That is not unusual at all. Knowing that there aren't other problems, such as Infection and thyroid, is important to proper treatment.

Going forward, home testing will save a lot of money on vet bills. If your vet didn't mention it, it could be because many vets think most people aren't willing to bother with it. I know my vet welcomed the idea when I asked about it, even giving me her Mother-in-law's old glucometer. And some vets don't like the idea of people adjusting insulin without their input. Though some vets never "come around", quite a lot of us here have found our vets welcome the test results once they see how helpful it is.

So welcome! Post questions to the "Health" forum to get the most eyes. And include what insulin, dose and food will help us help you.

3. Craig O

Craig O New Member

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your welcome and for your advice. It's a little reassuring since I really like this vet otherwise he's the most friendly, sympathetic one I've dealt with. Would hate to change things on a knee jerk moment.

We are going back for the "how to" administer insulin and such on Saturday in the am. WHen I have more info and questions yes I will post in the Health forum. Thanks again!

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

5. Craig O

Craig O New Member

Thank you BJM,

We are already committed, that is not an issue. For the low carb food, my vet recommended we stay on the food he sells, says it will last a while and he knows how to the food works and how to compensate for it (insulin) Is there any other reason, other than price that we should go for the paté?

If our vet has instructed that following his food and insulin instructions most of his clients' cats go into remission, would there ever be a need for a meter?

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Because the prescription food is a marketing thing. Most of the limited feline nutrition info vets get is from the product manufacturers who have a vested interest in selling their products. We've had good results using over the counter, low carb, canned or raw foods here.

Testing is about safety!!! By testing, you will see if it is safe to give insulin, and that the cat remains safely above 50 mg/dL on a human meter or 68 mg/dL on a pet meter (much more expensive to use).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  7. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Craig, I can give you a perfect example of why testing/meter is necessary. Shiloh's glucose was 91 when I gave her shot this morning. Four hours after the shot, she had dropped to 44. If I hadn't been testing, and she continued to drop, it could have been very bad.

8. Craig O

Craig O New Member

I understand about being too high or too low. What I am curious about is the vet telling me that for his weight, if he eats "x" much quantity twice a day, with insulin measured for his weight and what he eats that he should be ok. I could be missing some details as we're going back in tomorrow to learn to give the insulin and all, maybe he'll talk to me about a meter then. My apologies for jumping the gun before I've officially started, but I am thankful for the advice.

We haven't read all the "homework" he sent me home with either, plan on doing that tonight.

9. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

And Craig, I will also tell you that my vet started Shiloh out at 2 units twice a day. She is, as of today, on .25 units. And the only way that it has come down is because I was testing and knew how she was reacting to the insulin and the change to over the counter canned food.

My mom was diabetic (steroid induced) for several years. I wouldn't even think about giving her insulin without checking, and she could tell me if she was feeling "off." Given that Shiloh can't tell me, I would never give her insulin without knowing where her levels are at.

Not trying to be rude, just sharing my experience.

10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Hi Craig,

Insulin is based and adjusted on glucose levels, not weight.

If Rhonda had not been home testing, Shiloh would have ended up in the ER in a hypo (hypoglycemia) episode. Very dangerous if not treated. It is easy to do at home with home testing.

Be sure to stock up on some essentials like honey, karo syrup or high carb gravy food in case of a hypo episode.

While on insulin, your cat has to be closely monitored at home for BG levels to prevent it from going too low and to determine the correct insulin dose your cat should be on.

Your vet will likely talk you into getting a pet glucomter, which is more expensive, with the strips, than a human glucometer, such as Walmart's ReliOn Micro or Confirm meters, strips and lancets. Starting out, it's best to use a 25 or 26 lancet.

You can get a head start by home testing today before the vet visit tomorrow. Then you can compare your results with the vet's. Note that the vet's BG numbers are often higher, especially with a stressed cat.

Vet prescription diets are a waste of money and unnecessary. A wet-food only diet with carbs under 10% is important. Transition your cat's diet from high carb/dry to low carb wet slowly.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

And going into remission means the glucose goes lower and lower, thus the insulin dose also needs to go lower and lower ... which you won't know if you aren't testing.
    Here are the instructions on How to Treat Hypos - They Can Kill.

12. Craig O

Craig O New Member

Thank you all for your advice. What is the average difference in price form a pet meter to a human one? I am glad for all this info, I will see the other side of the coin tomorrow A.M.

13. Craig O

Craig O New Member

If he just gave me the no carb food now and we're only seeing him (vet) tomorrow, should I start the food now without the insulin or can this bring the cat too low? I started last night and again this am with the recommended portion, but they didn't specify really if it's ok to go without the insulin, I just assumed it was.

14. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

I paid $16 for my meter, Relion Prime from Walmart. $18 for 100 strips. From Amazon, Alphatrak, $60, 50 test strips, $60.

15. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

With no insulin on board, you don't need to worry about him going too low. What food are you feeding?

16. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Craig, check out Glucometer Notes in BJM's link above. Are you feeding canned or dry food?

It's a good idea to slowly transition from a high carb diet to a low carb canned food diet.

Which insulin does your vet plan to put your cat on?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.