just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TucsonChina, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TucsonChina

TucsonChina New Member

I want to say thank you for this board. Our 10 year old cat China was just diagnosed with diabetes. She had lost weight. We started testing about 2 weeks ago. At first her levels were high 400s then below 200. For the last 4 days she been "HI" on the meter. We test twice a day and give 1 unit of lantus if she's over 250. We're finally getting comfortable with the testing.

She's stopped eating. We've tried dried, wet, and anything we can think of.

I'd like suggestions on what to feed her. What kind of routine to get into. Do we feed her before we test, after we test, after the insulin?

We can't free feed, because her brother is severely overweight and will push her off the food and eat anything and everything that's
    left out.

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi, I don't want to give out any dosing advice because I'm not comfortable doing that. Please stick around, someone with more knowledge in this area of a cat reading "hi" and not eating will be around soon. I will also cross post this threat to the lantus forum for you, ok?

3. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Hi! I'm going to throw out some questions to get the ball rolling, though there will be other, more experienced people around to help out.

Are you feeding before you test now? Within two hours of testing? Are you on a a twice a day dosage or just twice a day testing? Do you not give the lantus is she is under 250?

How long hasn't she been eating? Does she have any other symptoms that concern you?

When she was diagnosed did they check her urine for keytones?

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hi there and welcome.

have you heard of ketones? or testing for ketones? if not, this is something you need to read up on right away and run to the store and pick up some ketostix to test with. they are a test strip thing you stick in urine and then watch for it to change colors and compare it to a chart on the bottle. ketones are a complication of diabetes and inappetance is often a symptom of them.

is kitty acting lethargic at all? hanging around the water dish? anything odd other than not eating?

if kitty is acting totally fine other than not wanting to eat, can you tell us what it us that you are trying to get her to eat? if it is a prescription food the vet sold you, it is not uncommon for kitties to get tired of that stuff after only a few days.

it is imperative that a diabetic cat eat so even if it's not the most ideal food for a diabetic, right now, if your cat will eat it, let her eat it sooooooooooooo, try regular cat foods, dry or canned, meat only baby foods, chicken you buy for yourself, tuna, etc.....and warm it all up a little bit too as that brings out it's odor, often getting kitty to eat

as far as when to let them eat in relation to shots etc......that's not as important right now as just getting her to eat so we can perhaps address that in a little bit

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Please keep us updated on how China is eating, inappetance is dangerous for a diabetic.

First take the time to read www.catinfo.org for the clearest explanation of diet and diabetes. Then you can browse around the many food threads on this site.

Second, read our FAQs to get an overview of things you'll need to know.

Third, go to the Lantus Insullin Study Group, read their stickies and introduce yourself.

There are many tricks to get a cat to eat, my own favorite is stinky sardines mashed into either cottage cheese or a soft boiled egg. Others swear by parmesan, bonito flakes and tuna water. Whatever you do, get some meat baby food--make sure it contains NO onions--you may ned to force feed China if this hunger strike continues.

Everyone has mentioned testing for ketones, it's important in a unregulated diabetic who is not eating or has an infection brewing. The ketostix are available at any drug store, no prescription is required.

Hoping to hear soon that China is eating!

6. TucsonChina

TucsonChina New Member

Well today was much better ... after reading alot this morning .. .got her some wet food in a pouch .. Whiskas .. she seemed to like that and ate all of one pouch over the day. We have been feeding Science Diet as that was the vet recommended. But she's very
    tired of that and has been eating treats the last few days because I felt something was better than nothing.

We're testing twice a day and if > 250 she gets 1 unit. We have been testing we get up (5:30am) and 4:30 pm. So she hasn't eaten in at least an hour before testing.

She's not hanging around the water bowl nor is she lethargic .. today she seemed to perk up .. I guess eating better will do that.

I went to the store this afternoon and got some more canned food that has meat listed as the first ingredients and no grains in the list.
    I'm hoping that will help.

Thanks for the help

7. TucsonChina

TucsonChina New Member

just tested again after eating well today .. 476 ... still hi .. but not HI on the meter. She's eating better ... so progress.

thanks for the help

8. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

definitely sounding better :)

please do stick around and let us know how she's doing as we quickly fall for any extra sweet kitties that show up around here.

9. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Very glad to hear that she's eating now and it sounds like you found LC (low carb) food. It really can make a difference. I hope China continues to feel better.

While it can be overwhelming, read as much as you can in the stickies. Sometimes (not always) you might find you are better informed about feline diabetes than your vet. I adore my vet, but we are her only current feline diabetes client. She has had limited dealings with Lantus and was the one to suggest changing insulin to Lantus, but only started us off at 1x a day. I have found my vet open to the information I share with her from this board.

This board has been life saver for my guy. If you click on "Six's Numbers" at the bottom of my post you can see what a spreadsheet looks like and what what numbers were like for him before Lantus (500-600), Lantus 1x a day and his progression to where he is now. You'll see lots of spreadsheets in Lantus Land. AMPS means his blood glucose levels right before his morning meal and shot and PMPS same thing but for the evening.

You will also see lots of ECID (each cat is different) mentioned in posts and it's very true.

So glad you found this site. When you're ready, come on over to Lantus Land - in the Insulin Support Groups and introduce yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.