Just Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meezer Mom, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meezer Mom

Meezer Mom New Member

Hi everyone!

This group has come very highly recommended, and I am so glad to meet you all.

My 9 1/2 year old Siamese cat, Chibi, was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. He also had a UTI, so he spent the night at the vet getting a bit of re-hydration, antibiotics and have his BS monitored. I'll pick him up early this afternoon.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with it all, and I want to give Chibi the best care I can. :nailbiting:

Thanks for reading!
    Nancy aka Meezer Mom

2. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

welcome, Nancy! Your user name caught my eye, obviously. I'm a serial meezer mom.

I have had three extra-sweet meezers. Lucy was first, she is still with me and has been off insulin for over 5 years! Once I learned that diabetes wasn't that hard to manage, I decided I could do it again. Jazzy and KK both were hospice adoptions with other health issues, so unfortunately I didn't get to keep them as long.

You can do this!

3. ramonaghan

ramonaghan Member

Welcome! I'm a newbie too but had to say hi to a fellow meezer mom. I lost my meezer boy, Mud, in 2009 to kidney disease and I miss him every day. Even though I don't currently have one, I will always have a soft spot for meezers. This is Mud with my current "sugarcat" Henry when Henry was a kitten.

[​IMG]

I'm a little over a month in on the diabetes adventure and once you wrap your head around it, it's very manageable. You've found a great resource and support system here!

4. Meezer Mom

Meezer Mom New Member

Thank you both for your encouragement! I am also a serial Meezer mom, but I have also had a Russian Blue. Chibi is an only child. We've spoiled him!

I made a spreadsheet this morning to track all Chibi's values, voids and intakes. Yes, I am a geek!

Nancy aka Meezer Mom

ramonaghan likes this.
  5. ramonaghan

ramonaghan Member

:D The geekier, the better! Spreadsheets are very popular around here. You can find instructions for publishing it and linking to it in your signature here. That will give the experts on the board an easy way to view Chibi's progress and offer advice. You can also include notes on what you're feeding him, what insulin you're using, and what glucometer you're testing with if applicable. (When you're ready, of course--I know you're still processing everything!)

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Can we get you started using our spreadsheet to record your glucose tests? It will help us give you better feedback. Instructions are here.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

7. Meezer Mom

Meezer Mom New Member

Thanks for telling me about the Google docs! Chibi is home from the vet. Went straight to the litter box! I take him back on Monday for another BG test. They sent out a fructosamine test today. Chibi's BG levels dropped and stabilized after treatment for the infection and some rehydration.

I am rambling on here! Can any of you recommend a cat treat to use? Chibi has never liked the main brands at the store.

Thanks!
    Nancy aka Meezer Mom

8. ramonaghan

ramonaghan Member

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I use Pure Bites freeze dried chicken from the dog section (more cost effective) with the garage cats and I can get the juveniles to eat them out of my hand.

10. Kimmied

Kimmied Member

Welcome Nancy and Chibi!

You have come to the right place! :)

I'm sure you're very glad to have Chibi home. It's so quiet when one is missing.

Have you tried home testing his BS yet? The meter most recommended here is the Relion Micro and Contour from Walmart. You'll need to get test strips and lancets too. Make sure you get lancets 25 -29 gauge. Just makes it easier to get a blood spot.

I watched a lot of Youtube videos about how to test a cats blood sugar. The videos are very good but make it look very easy. It takes about 2 weeks to get the hang of testing. You can also watch some videos on how to give an injection to a cat. They're also very good.

The videos talk about using a rice sock. It helps to warm the ear to help get a blood spot. Here's how to make one: get a sock (I used a toddler sock), fill with uncooked (not minute Rice), then tie off with a ponytail rubber band or tie in a knot. Then warm in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Always test on the inside of your wrist to make sure that it's not too hot. Place rice sock on the inside of the ear and rub on the outside of ear.

If you have anymore question, just ask away.

Kimmie

11. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. May I ask what type of food Chibi is on? Transitioning from wet to dry can really help bring down blood glucose levels and hence the need for insulin.

Dr Pierson has a great website all about food http://www.catinfo.org

A cat with diabetes should ideally be fed a wet food that is low in carbohydrates. This chart taken from the same website can help you sift through the different foods

http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

12. memopad85

memopad85 Member

Welcome. Its very overwhelming having a newly diagnosed diabetic cat, but it does get easier. The members here are great and very helpful. I greatly appreciate all of their help and support. Feel free to ask away any questions and I wish you the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.