? Just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ame23, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ame23

ame23 New Member

My 14 year old cat Punkin was diagnosed with diabetes on Friday and I'm already in over my head. No problem giving the insulin. Punkin is really easy to handle. He's very trusting. And sweet. The problem is getting him to eat right after the injection. The vet gave him an appetite stimulant Friday morning and he's been eating a LOT since then. He is not a foodie at all, so this has helped. The problem is he's eaten so much that he's now very constipated. So much so that he ate very little this morning and nothing since. I got as much Laxacat down him as possible, but most ended up on him instead of in him. He keeps trying to go but so far, only 3 little turds...one at a time. I have to give him another injection in two hous. My question is, is it safe to give him the injection and then if he won't eat, give him as much Nutri-Cal as possible?

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi there, and welcome to you and Punkin.

It has been a bit quiet on the forum today so I'm sorry that you didn't get a reply to your post sooner. I'm sorry to hear that Punkin is constipated.

Could you let us know which insulin you are using and any blood glucose numbers you have for Punkin, and then I'll see who might be online who might be able to help you with your question about giving insulin tonight. Will check back very shortly (need to feed my little one).

Mogs

3. Critter Mom

@Wendy&Neko - I just spotted you logged in on the main forum screen. Is there any chance you might keep an eye out on this thread, please? (I'm about to drop.)

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'd need to know which insulin you are giving before answering the question. Some of them require that kitty eat right away.

What food are you feeding him? Low carb wet food or raw is best for diabetics. Lots of water on their food can also help things go. A little bit (1/2 tsp) of plain cooked pumpkin (canned kind with no spices) or baby food squash can also help put a little fiber in their diet. I don't know about giving Nutri-Cal.

5. Critter Mom

6. Critter Mom

7. ame23

ame23 New Member

Thanks for answering! Punkin is on Lantus insulin glargine. And yes, he has to eat immediately after the injection. I dont have any way to check his glucose, but Friday when he was diagnosed, it was 410. I was worried he would not want to eat tonight because of his stomach problems. He solved this himself by coming downstairs as I was getting dinner ready for the other cats and joined them in demanding that I hurry up. Once I was sure he was going to eat, I gave him the injection and he ate part of a can of food, and then ate some turkey. So, seems I was in a panic for nothing. I'll give him his mirtazapine in the morning and his appetite should be back in full force. Punkin has Scabby Cat Syndrome and the steroids used to treat that caused the diabetes. Don't know what my vet will use to bring the Scabby Cat under control when it flares up again in a couple of weeks, but my vet seems to have an idea. Thank you all again for responding. I was sick with worry.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lantus is a good insulin for cats. Since Punkin is on Lantus, the insulin doesn't usually onset for a couple of hours after injection, so you do have some time to get food into him. I'm glad he's eating now. :)

We are strong advocates of home testing your cat's blood sugar, to make sure he's at a safe blood sugar level. Cats are often stressed at the vets. My non diabetic cat once tested around 220 at the vet and 53 the next day at home. You don't want an insulin dose to be based on a vet inflated number that might go down when he's at home.

Good luck with the Scabby Cat syndrome.

9. Critter Mom

Relieved to hear Punkin is eating. :)

Mogs

ame23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.