Just Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HereKittyKittyKitty, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

My 10 year-old cat was diagnosed with diabetes 3 days ago. His BG at diagnosis was 450. He had suddenly lost a lot of weight (eating kibble since adoption in 2008, then suddenly started eating, drinking, peeing, and pooing a lot more, and then abruptly stopped eating and drinking for a few days) and his fur was suddenly looking faded. It might have been something in his environment that caused the diabetes, but we're still looking into this. If we get anything definitive, I'll post for everyone's benefit.

The vet prescribed Hill's M/D canned and 2 units of insulin twice a day.

So far, injections are going fine. We're signing up for the Walgreen's prescription savings plan to save money.

He hates the food and I hate the smell. I've been doing some research and I'm changing the food because of the carbs and cost.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    What insulin? Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.

Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

For specific question please post in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. A Larry said, you do not need to feed your cat prescription food. There are a lot of good store brand foods that work just as well for our cats. Many of us feed our cats either Fancy Feast or Friskies pate flavors. These are lower in carbs than any of the "gravy" flavors.

You can also take the prescription food back to your vet for a refund even if you have used part of it.

4. HereKittyKittyKitty

Never mind on the prescription savings card from Walgreen's. Even paying full price at Walmart is far cheaper (Relion Novalin N). While checking out prices at several places, I also found the longer-acting insulin is way, way, way too expensive, so we'll have to stick with the N.

I got 3 days (6 cans) each of Friskies Turkey Giblets Pate, 9 Lives Turkey and Giblets Pate, 9 Lives Liver and Bacon Pate, and 9 Lives Chicken Pate. I'm going to test what is going on with the cat's BG on each of these foods 3 days in a row (assuming he'll eat them), as well as the prescription food, then decide what to feed. And during our follow-up/annual exam, report to the vet (maybe send email earlier, though). Ha! I'm going to try to be his second person to be able to test cat BG (he said he's only had one that had been successful so he didn't recommend getting the meter).

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

You're right, the long acting insulins are far too expensive in the U.S. That's why most of us buy our Lantus or Levemir from Canada where it is much, much cheaper
    https://rxcanada4less.com/search.php
    You just need a prescription from your vet.
    Glad you're testing BG that's especially important with the switch to low carb food.

6. HereKittyKittyKitty

Sharon14--

Thank you.

The cat was not happy with blood glucose testing. It took 2 lancets, 3 strips, and 2 cotton balls. But I found "the spot" :cool: I'm glad he has two ears and I have 8 fingers :)

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.