Just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph&BigKitty, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph&BigKitty

Steph&BigKitty Member

Hello! I'm so happy to have found this site! My Kitty was just diagnosed last week. He's a 13 year old black and white male and his name is..Kitty :)
    His only symptom was excessive drinking. I took him to the vet and had blood work done. Everything was perfect except his glucose came back at 429 and he hadn't ate in about 5 hours.
    We just started insulin 2 days ago. He is one 1 unit every 12 hours of Vetsulin.
    From what I read on here alot of people are using Lantis. Now I'm worried about using the Vetsulin. My vet chose it because she said she thinks its more effective than human insulin.
    Any input? Thank you everyone.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Stephanie! This is the best place for advice and support. :) If you repost on the main health forum, it'll be seen by more people. Ask any/all questions you have.

Did your vet mention testing Kitty's blood glucose at home? Readers of your post will want to know. I'm very glad to see that your vet started Kitty on a low dose.

3. Steph&BigKitty

Steph&BigKitty Member

The vet wants me to bring him back every two weeks to get his blood checked. I didn't know I could do it myself with a human glucose meter until I joined this site. So that's good news! If I can work up the nerve to do it..

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's not as difficult as you'd think. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.