Just diagnosed ☹️

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Loulou, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loulou

Loulou New Member

Hi all, our 11 year old big girl was diagnosed yesterday after a week of visits & monitoring following a rather scary bout of cystitis over the bank holiday weekend. She's been overweight since she was a year old & we've tried all the dry diet foods out there (on advice of our vets), but she just kept getting fatter so diabetes has always felt like it's going to be inevitable but we're still gutted she has it & feel we've let her down. We even got a couple of kittens a couple of years ago to try & encourage her to move around a bit but while she will play with them a bit it's from a lying down position, she really is lazy!
    Have to make an appointment with the vets for Monday to get her started on insulin but in the meantime I've taken her off her biscuits and have been giving her Gourmet mon Petit pouches (1 morning & 1 in the evening) with warm water and some tinned tuna with warm water to make a sort of soup, which she finishes off very happily and seems to satisfy her.
    Off to try and find some good quality wet food today to try her on, any suggestions? I've checked the list and am going to get some of the Lily's Kitchen Chicken Dinner and might try some of the Natural Instinct frozen stuff as I'm sure I've seen it in one of the pet shops here, I don't really understand the potential effects of the oil, kelp & yeast that are mentioned in the note though, can anyone advise? I'll post this as a question on the main forum but thought I'd mention it here too.
    Thanks all, really pleased to have found this forum, I'm really hoping I can try to get her into remission & to lose weight, although I've failed for the last 10 years

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Sorry about the diagnosis. You did the right thing getting her off dry food for sure. No doubt that's what got her where she is. A low carb wet diet is the way to go. Are you in the UK?

My cat gained sufficient weight in the last year and a half because her arthritis is severe so she doesn't move as much. So I know how that goes. We are here for you.

Loulou likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. If you are going to be giving insulin you should also be home testing. Testing the blood sugar levels is going to let you know how the insulin is working, and help prevent hypos. There is information here on the board about how to test, JanetNJ has an excellent video in her signature, and there are many You Tube videos as well. Testing is especially important as you are changing to a low carb wet diet and that lowers the blood sugar level (BG for blood glucose).

AlphaCat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.