Just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kya’s Mom 1983, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kya’s Mom 1983

Kya’s Mom 1983 Member

My kitty just was diagnosed on sat and has not had insulin curve done yet. I’m hoping to take her tomorrow. I started her on canned Fancy Feast last week. She has had good appetite. Tonight she had a can at noon and I went to give her can at 6pm and she was not hungry. Before I tried to feed at 6pm I tested at 430pm with a ReliOn confirm machine. 313. She is acting really weird. I’m scared she is going into ketoacidocis. Can anyone tell me the symptoms and what to look for?

2. Rardito

Rardito Member

I believe people buy the ketone test strips (Walmart etc.) and you test their urine for ketones. Mitsy hasn't had this issue but I occasionally use the strips just to test. I think I've heard that anything over trace is concerning.

beggargirl likes this.
  3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

My copy and paste works when it feels like it!

go to the section " Health Links/ FAQS about Feline Diabetes. Scroll down to : Ketones/Diabetic Ketoacidosis/Meters

If she is in DKA she needs treatment asap. At the minimum get as much oral fluid into her as you can.

What insulin are you using and dose?

What do you mean by "acting weird"? Change the title of your posting to include 911. You will get more people faster to help you.

4. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

@Marje and Gracie Can you help? I believe you were helping someone else in this situation?

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Does her breath smell fruity? I can sometimes smell it on my cat when her ketones are up.

It would be a good idea if you get some ketone strips or a ketone blood meter. I find the meters easier to use but the urine strips are really cheap and available at any pharmacy.

Try to get her to eat and drink. Maybe tuna water?

6. Evie Corso

Evie Corso Member

Did they discover ketones in her urine at her vet visit or are you thinking that this may be new? There is a list of symptoms at petmd: https://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/endocrine/c_ct_diabetes_with_ketoacidosis
    but some of the symptoms can be attributed to other things, including diabetes. Is she on insulin yet? Sometimes when their blood glucose is high, they are not hungry. I would go get that curve done and get on a schedule. Read the get acquainted sticky posts and follow the unstructions to get started and those, more experienced than me, can start walking you through managing your kitty’s diabetes.

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Symptoms include not eating, lethargy, weakness, depression, and sometimes drinking a lot of water.

I’d get her to the ER if she were mine.

Good luck!

8. Kya’s Mom 1983

Kya’s Mom 1983 Member

She ate well at noon and then did not want dinner ate a little and threw it right back up. Has been back and forth to litter box and has pooped a couple times but little bits. Just got up at two cuz she was acting like she was hungry and put some food down for her and she licked it and then threw up just bile. Not sure what’s going on with her. This is new behavior. She has been eating fine since I switched her from dry kibble to Fancy Feast cans last week. Not sure if food change is upsetting her stomach or constipated or if glucose level is making her sick.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If it's tiny nuggets it vet well could be she's a bit constipated. Depending on how the morning goes though you may want to get a checkup. Ketones can turn bad fast.

beggargirl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.