Just diagnosed.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kayleigh Kendrick, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayleigh Kendrick

Kayleigh Kendrick New Member

Our 5 yrs old boy Silas has just been diagnosed with diabetes. Right now we are trying to find a way to afford his insulin. Any suggestions!?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kayleigh and Silas and welcome to FDMB:)
    Can you tell us a bit about Silas please so we can help you.?
    What insulin was he prescribed.? And what was the dose? Is it being given twice a day?
    What diet are you feeding him? We recommend a canned /wet food diet which is 10% or lower in carbohydrates.
    What country do you live in....this will help us with what insulin is available at a cheaper cost.

Are you going to home test the blood sugars? It is much safer for Silas if you do this and will save you the cost of multiple vet visits.

The first few weeks involves the biggest costs as you get set up. Feeding a low carb diet which you can buy from the super market or pet store will save you money. Many feed Fancy feast pates or friskies which are both low carb. There is no need to fed the prescription vet diets which are no better than other foods but cost a lot more. If you have been feeding a dry food diet, they are high carb and I would recommend you switch to low carb wet food.

Ask lots of questions. We are here to help. Lots of people here are on a restricted income and manage to do it on a low budget and will help you.

Here is the link to the main forum where there are many more people and they will be only too happy to help you

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. G3rtrud3

G3rtrud3 Member

Hello! First before you buy insulin, I would suggest changing Silas over to wet food if you haven't already. I feed my kitty Friskies because its low on carbs. My kitty was diagnosed about a month ago and she was on a free feed dry food diet. We switched her over to wet food and her glucose levels dropped within normal range and have stayed there. Now, she doesn't even need the insulin anymore.
    Where do you live? Whats your price range? There's many people on here that would be happy to help you find insulin! :)

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Depends on the insulin. Cheapest ProZinc is from chewy. Cheapest lantus is from Marks Marine pharmacy in Canada.

6. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

Hi everyone. M'row just diagnosed; I think he's 15, but am unsure as I picked him up right off the streets when he was a starving stray. Broke my lease to do this, but he was going to die, so the choice was clear to me, and we wound up moving to a better place anyway. Yes, I'm shocked and stunned; comforting to learn I'm not going insane and this is a normal reaction. Threw out all the dry food as I have just learned it's not good for diabetic cats, and with all I've learned, I realise he should never have been on it anyway. First Lantis injection today--went well, not sure he even noticed it. Vet says I caught his disease "early" and he probably will do well. I can't imagine what "late" might look like: he lost 1/4 of his body weight, PU/PD of elephantine proportions, withdrawn, etc. Am working off my distress by much studying in FD. Thanks everyone for being there for us!!

JanetNJ and Kris & Teasel like this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! This is an old thread started by someone else so your post will get lost in it. I suggest you post on the main health forum to ask all your questions. :)

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

He's so lucky to have found you. Treated diabetic cats can live long healthy lives. Untreated he would have suffered greatly. Good job doing that first injection. It gets easieR after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.