Just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Snickers, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snickers

Snickers New Member

Hello!

My cat Snickers is 10 years old and was just diagnosed. I have been trying to read up on the reactions that cats can have with the insulin Lantus, but I'm not finding out too much. We have been giving Snickers his insulin shots 2x a day and since Wednesday and have started to notice a lot of redness and tenderness around the areas where the shots have been given. They are not hives, but it does look like some type of skin reaction. Any thoughts?

I saw on another new member's post that they were asked to complete a profile of their cat. Where do you do that?

I've been reading a lot on this site and I'm really glad to have found it. Great information and from what I've read on other posts... lots of caring new friends to help.

Thanks,
    Amy

2. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

That's kind of unusual. Where do you give shots? How do you give them? (Could you describe the technique). How is the cat acting? Would you considering hometesting? Most of us like to start at 1 unit 2x a day and work up. What made you take the cat in? If it would turn out that the cat is sensative to lantus there are other insulins to try.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hi there and welcome to fdmb!

as far as info on lantus and other kitties on it, there's a whole forum here dedicated to it. each insulin as a matter of fact has their own forum. here's the link to the lantus one. take a look specifically at the info at the top of it, the Stickies. you'll find a lot of information there about lantus specifically. then all of us using it post a "condo" or start a thread each day and post our numbers and basically talk back and forth about how our kitties are doing on it.
    viewforum.php?f=9

i just started using lantus actually so i don't know about the red spots. i'll leave that to other lantus users.

as far as making a profile, click the "user control panel" to the upper right of the page. then, when it goes there, on the left side of the page you'll find various things you can set up and do. one of them is "profile". you can click that put in a little info about you & your kitty. you can also do a "signature" there too and include pertinent info. see at the bottom of my post the info on when diagnosed, insulin, etc.....? that is the "signature" info. so you could put in there the type of insulin you are using, if you hometest, for now, just some basic info one can refer to quickly when they are answering a question for you. make sense?

4. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Welcome Amy!

Sorry I was distracted. Please give us some more information on Snickers, what dose you started at, what you are feeding and any information on his overall health. This will help us figure out what's going on and make it easier to help out. Glad you're here.

Gia & Quirk (GA)

Guilt trips are a detour from life.

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Amy, and welcome.

I think that you may accidentally be giving the insulin intra-dermally (within the skin) rather than subcutaneously (under the skin). This will cause a painful, slow-healing skin reaction as you describe. I've seen this happen from people pointing the needle upwards when tenting the skin.

Can anyone here direct Amy to some good YouTube videos or another site with videos/pics?

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.