Just did my first at home test...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by meme, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meme

meme New Member

Her glucose level is 330. That's a good 200 points lower than the stressed out number she got at the vet's when he said to raise her units to 3. I never did that, because I just had a feeling it was elevated because of the stress. I've been giving her 2 units per dose. I'll give her her 2 units now. How long do I wait before testing again to see the results of this dose?

2. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

I'm new here so I can't help much, but I think for most the lowest # from the dose comes about 6-7 hours later. I think it depends on what insulin you're on as well. Have you read about doing a curve?

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Woohoo!! First home test. Well done. What kind of insulin are you giving?

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Got it, Prozinc. I'm sorry I don't know anything about Prozinc. I would recomment you post to the Insulin Support Group for PZI. Here is the link: PZI ISG

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome to the vampire club. :lol:

You want to begin testing before every shot. Most of us test, then feed, then shoot. Also, occasionally try to get a test in between. I'm not sure how long your cat has been on insulin, but generally after about a week on a new dose, you will want to also do your own curve. This means testing every 2 or 3 hours so you after the shot to see how well the insulin is working.

When you give us your readings, the standard format is AMPS (a.m. preshot), PMPS (p.m. preshot) and +2 or any +number which means the number of hours since the last shot.

6. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Good job on hometesting!
    You'll be a pro in no time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.