Just found out it's cancer. Cost of Chlorambucil?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JeMo, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeMo

JeMo New Member

Just found out a few hours ago my 14 year old cat likely has lymphoma. He was 18 pounds last year and now he's 10.5 pounds. I suspected diabetes and took him to the vet Nov. 4. The reason I took him, other than his extreme weight loss, was that he was having trouble breathing. He doing rapid shallow breathes and not eating even though he was hungry.

The vet did some blood tests and his glucose was 400. She prescribed lantus. After starting him on the insulin his appetite picked up a bit. That lasted about a week but then he stopped eating. I took him to a different vet today. An x ray showed fluid around his lungs and the vet said it 90% chance it's cancer. I opted to have the fluid drained and pulled out about 8 ounces of foamy beef broth-looking fluid. She also gave him a steroid injection. She mentioned starting him on meds...a steroid I think. I was stressed and can't remember.

My cat actually meowed on the way home. He hasn't been his vocal self for about 2 weeks so hearing him say something was heartening. He even ate a little. He's still rapid breathing when at rest. If he gets up and walks a short distance he open mouth breathes.

The vet never mentioned chemo. She just mentioned meds for comfort or having euthanasia. But after googling I see it's possible to buy him more time. He's such a super sweet friendly, very laid-back, nothing fazes him, vacuum right up and around him and he won't move an inch kind of cat. He deserves more time.

I tried finding out the cost of chlorambucil at a compounding pharmacy or even the dosage but the info I find is so vague. Like it's a big secret. I shouldn't have to jump thru hoops to get a price. So can someone please tell me how much it would be? I don't want my Mulligatawny to go out this way. He has such soulful eyes. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Mulligatawny (fab name btw) and you are having a rough time. Tagging
    @Wendy&Neko
    who has some knowledge in this area.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry you have received such bad news. It is always such a blow to hear news like that.
    He is a gorgeous looking boy!
    I have had no experience with chlorambucil but I will tag @Wendy&Neko as she may be able to help you.
    Best wishes :bighug:

4. JeMo

JeMo New Member

Mulligatawny's name was inspired by TS Eliot's poem "The Naming of Cats":

But I tell you, a cat needs a name that’s particular,
    A name that’s peculiar, and more dignified,
    Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
    Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
    Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
    Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
    Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum—
    Names that never belong to more than one cat.

I saw the word "mulligatawny" in a dictionary. It's an Indian soup and means "pepper water". I thought it would be a cool name for a cat when I got one. Lol.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There are different types of lymphoma. Chlorambucil (brand name Leukeran), is only good for small cell lymphoma which is thickening of the intestines. Your vet would have to do a lot more diagnostics to determine type of lymphoma is present, starting with an ultrasound if SCL is suspected, then either a biopsy or endoscopy. Fluid on the lungs is not a normal symptom of SCL.

Cost of chlorambucil depends where you live. Canadian pricing, which I know, may not help you. I buy the brand Leukeran which is stupid expensive in the US.

Mulligatawny is one of my favourite soups.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Do you have a specialty clinic in your area? There may be an oncologist there.

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry

8. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Finding an oncologist is good, even if it might be pricey. I had to fight hard myself for mine and Simba's Gustav from 2008 to get him proper diagnosed when Gustav got what turned out to be the very difficult cancer Multiple Myeloma. In 6 months beteeen the fall of 2011 and March 2012 a lymphom had also grown in between Gustav's inner organs and Gustav died in March 21 2012. All of us 3 Simba, Gustav and I were heartbroken. But I had to really fight for them. So I know how much even o n e day more with them means.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Basked on that symptom it is NOT small-cell lymphoma and thus chlorambucil will really not help. Prednisolone is usually given alone or with a chemo drug for small cell, intermediate cell and large cell lymphoma and other cancers too.
    A lot of information can be made by analysing the drained fluid,

10. sandscout

sandscout Member

How is your kittie doing today?

11. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that any chemo have to follow a cancer specific protocol, and the white immune blood cells has to be measured every month while on chemo. Since all chemo lowers the white blood cells so significally so the immune system is jeopardised and when the white blood cells have gotten too low the chemo immidiately has to be stopped.
    So never use any chemo unless it is strictly followed by an oncologist.

My Gustav didn't do to well on chemo. He was so scared of going to the vet overall, and having to go once a month to leave white blood cells blood test while on the Multiple Myeloma chemo protocol with him so scared, was pushing it with him. It also was a torment for me both knowing and seeing him so scared. And his oncologist also said we had to stop the chemo tablet since Gustav's white blood cells also got too low. And just be on the Prednisolon cortison.

So there is some tough decisions having to be made when it is cancer. All the way through to secure biopsies.

12. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

What a way to start the holiday season. My heart goes out to you. I am very sorry.

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience, but many on here do. Just remember to not beat yourself up over this. You are doing the best you can.

13. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for you and your kitty. I hope things work out better than you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.