Just found out my cat is diabetic. Have questions.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sirtuxofarkansas, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirtuxofarkansas

sirtuxofarkansas New Member

Hello,

Hope you can help. I have 4 cats. Just found out today that Chelsea is diabetic (her glucose was so high they could not read it). My question is this: Can the other 3 cats eat the same special diet as Chelsea? How do I go about finding a vet who specializes in Diabetic animals? Is there a drug (pill) that can be given instead of injections (Metformin is used in humans for Type 2)? Any help is definitely appreciated since I am SO!!!! new at this. Thanks, sirtuxofarkansas :?:

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome :) Sorry you had to find us but glad you did

To answer your questions

1. all cats would benefit from a diabetic friendly diet; that is, moderate in fat and protein and low in carbs. And canned, not dry.

2. pills like glipizide can burn out a cat's pancreas and are often not sufficient; insulin is a much better way to go. I asked the same question myself when I started but shots are easier than pills and better.

Please, go to the health links section and read the feline diabetic faq (may also be in this forum?) and then come back with more questions, and also more info like

1. how was your cat diagnosed and what are its symptoms
    2. what has your vet recommended re insulin and food?
    3. any other medical conditions?
    4. what food is your cat currently eating?
    5. consider posting your general location as one of us may live nearby and be able to provide assistance

Jen

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

first, welcome! :)

next, to address your specific questions. All your cats can eat the same diet. Despite what a lot of vets still want to sell you, a diabetic cat does not have to eat one of the prescription diets. Pluses to that are that your wallet doesn't go empty and kitty gets a better quality diet. A diabetic cat needs low carbohydrates and all cats need plenty of moisture. Sooooooooooooo, an ideal diet is a low carb canned diet or even raw if you have the option in your area. For the best info on proper feline nutrition, check out http://www.catinfor.org

finding a vet who specializes in diabetes? very very few do unfortunately. the best results i've seen from members here is to come up with a list of questions and calling around and asking for the clinic's ideas on diabetes and treatment methods.

pills for feline diabetes? there's one, glipizide. it rarely, if ever, works though and while you are trying it out, it finishes off some bodily functions so your chances of getting your cat into remission become virtually non-existant.

hometesting and injections are super easy i promise. yes, the first few days or weeks may be frustrating but in no time at all you'd be doing it in your sleep i swear :)

keep reading and asking questions ok.

4. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

When our Blackie was first diagnosed with diabetes, she was put on the Glipizide pills. They only worked for a short time, then she started vomiting. Took the pills back, and put her on Vetsulin 1 unit once a day for a week. Then it was 1 unit 2x a day. Soon learned through the internet as I was researching Vetsulin that it was being recalled due to the zinc not working. Put her on ProZinc. Started feeding her the Hill's Prescription W/D canned at the vet's when she was doing the curves, and then dry at home. This past weekend, I mentioned putting her on wet food, and the vet agreed. I mentioned putting her on Fancy Feast, but the vet wanted me to try the W/D wet instead for a week. Ok. Just for a week. Saturday night was fine, all day Sunday and all day Monday, she was fine. Tuesday, woke up thinking it'll be another day. Nope. She crashed later in the morning. Was on the phone with one of the board members here (who is now a friend of mine, and who also provided me with a hometesting kit... She came over Monday with the equipment, and it was a good thing, too), and she talked me through what was needed to be done. I did manage to get Blackie's BG levels back up, and in a good amount of time, too. Took her immediately off the W/D wet and put her on the Fancy Feast as well as dropped her insulin down to 1 unit 2x a day instead of the vet recommended 8 units 2x a day. I think the combination of the 8 units 2x a day plus the W/D wet is what made her crash. I'm just guessing here as I'm not a vet.

She did better yesterday, but her body was still full of the leftover carbs, so the readings weren't 100% accurate. Today, though, the curve is more gentle. I just hope that it stays that way.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. You've already got some great information so I just wanted to welcome you to the Board.

6. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Hi and welcome,

Others have answered your questions, so i don't have much to add right now. I just wanted to mention that I have to give Odie both pills (for something else) and injections --- the injections are sooo much easier. He hardly even notices - it takes about 1.5 seconds.

Keep asking questions as you find out more. It's overwhelming at first, there's a steep learning curve - but within a couple of weeks, it'll be much easier.

Have you found out anything about a treatment plan yet?

Odiesmom

7. Allison & Meow Meow

Allison & Meow Meow New Member

I was completely freaked out by the thought of injections when my cat was first diagnosed, and the first couple of injections did not go all that well...pretty much due to my hysteria and nervousness about it. Once I decided to put my hysteria aside and "just do it," it actually was very easy and not a big deal.

I always give injections in the same room (bathroom) with good lighting. My cat gets a treat immediately after the injection. He quickly got into a routine and goes into the bathroom to wait for me when it's time for his insulin.

Good luck!

8. HappyAmber

HappyAmber Member

Welcome to the boards..you've come to the right place...I'm a newbie myself. you have lots of reading and information to take it, but please do it...it will calm you and make you a pro at this in no time. My GG was just dx not even two weeks ago and I am VERY comfortable doing home testing and injections. (and my civvies love the treats!)

Also, if money is an issue (it is for me) check with your local cat rescues and local animal food banks...you would be amazed at how much they can help. I have no pride asking for help when it comes to my furbabies. :)

Again, Welcome...and as I've noticed...there is no questions to 'silly' or small for someone here to answer.

9. Angel and Ducky

Angel and Ducky Member

Hello Welcome,

Ducky was just diagnosed last month with Feline Diabetes, I was devastated and nervous. This forum has been a lifesaver, literally. My wonderful vet, who usually is amazing with all things feline, really knew nothing about Diabetes or how to really treat it. If I had just listened to him and not found this forum, Ducky would not be where he is today. Listen to the advice you get on this forum and know that we are all here to help each other get through this, and get our babies healthy. Try not to be too overwhelmed, it is easy to worry too much. You will be surprised at how easy the injections actually are, also I have four cats as well and they all eat the same food. Trying to give Ducky a special diet and worrying that he may sneak some of the other cats food was too much for me to handle. They all eat low carb wet and are happy to get wet food now :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.