Just found out Tanzi has diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mroddyn3, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mroddyn3

Mroddyn3 New Member

Hi,
    My 18 year old cat was just diagnosed with diabetes. He has had some loss of appetite and weight loss and that's why we took him to the vet. I just don't know if this is something we should treat and whether we can afford to treat him. That makes me feel guilty. I'm just not sure what to do. How have some of you handled this decision? How much of a part has your cat's age played in your thinking?
    Thanks,
    Mary

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    This is a disease which can be successfully treated and sometimes, it is possible to get the cat off insulin and diet-controlled.
    How about this - start with a switch to an over the counter, low carb canned food and ditch any dry food?
    Friskies pates are mostly under 10% calories from carbohydrates compared to most dry food which is up around 30-40 % calories from carbohydrates.
    You can read more at this website - Cat Info - written be veterinarian Dr Lisa Pierson.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Mary. I understand your concern over cost as well as your kitty's age. Is he otherwise healthy? If so, I think it's worth trying the treatment. I've had many cats over the years that lived to be in their 20's. Like BJM said, try the low carb canned food. Many cats respond well to that. Then, try to check his glucose at home, away from the stress of the vet. That may be enough, but if not and he needs insulin, you can decide then if you can do that. If so, There are some lower cost options as well as some that can be found in the Supply Closet on this site.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Mary,
    It is always a shock when we find our kitty has diabetes, but it is a very treatable condition. With the correct treatment weight loss and loss of appetite is corrected. We have 18 year old cats and older here on the forum who are doing well.
    There are many people here who will be only too happy to help and guide you. No one will judge you.
    I have had 2 cats which lived to the age of 21 and 22.

Sending :bighug::bighug: to you.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

I completely understand your guilt, and wish you good luck with whatever you decide. I do hope that you will give Tanzi a fighting chance though - if money is an issue, I'm sure some of the people on this board could give you a ton of money-saving tips. My tip would be to get a blood glucose monitor and save yourself some of the vet fees :) Hubby and I were just saying today that I think we're now over all of the initial expenses of diagnosis, and it's all just ongoing stuff - phew.

Our Ivana is 17 yrs old. For us, her age had nothing to do with our decision to treat her. We know that she is otherwise perfectly healthy, so she (hopefully!) has many more years left of living the good life with us.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.