Just found out

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chelsea Miles, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chelsea Miles

Chelsea Miles New Member

After months of my 14 year old cat peeing frequently and in places other than his liter box I just found out he has diabetes. Of course I am heartbroken because I have had him since he was only a few weeks old. He is on special food from the Vet now, and goes this Thursday to stay at his doctors for the day as they start insulin. I hate the thought of leaving him there even for a day but I know I have to do what's best for him. I'm nervous about having to give him insulin shots, is there any advice to make this easier on him. Or helpful tips for me?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Home testing negates the need for a vet visit for BG measurement. Also, vet stress can artificially raise BG by 100 (USA) or move points

A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287

If yo have any question please post in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. Chelsea Miles

Chelsea Miles New Member

Our Vet has ordered the insulin kit that I'll take home with us Thursday. They said it'd be about $115 and should last a couple months. I have always hated needles so this will be a huge change for us. Obviously this is all new to me, scared but ready for my furbaby to feel better!

4. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

We're in the same boat. Still learning myself. Just gave my furbaby her evening shot and it went well. If I can do it, anyone can. lol

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Chelsea Miles

Chelsea Miles New Member

That's how I feel! He was my first furbaby. So I'm a little nervous wreck! And we had a vacation that's already booked, and had a furbaby sitter. Now I'm scared to leave him and it's a few months from now lol!

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome!

You've found a great place to learn more about how to help your precious furbaby with his diabetes: pretty much all of us are overwhelmed and scared when we arrive her, but it will get much less daunting once you get going and as you learn more.

To get you started here are a couple of useful forum stickies with information and tips on giving injections and also how to home test your kitty's BG (so that you can improve his regulation and keep him safe on insulin):

Testing and Injecting Tips

Home Testing Links and Tips

Re the injections, try practising by injecting some water into an orange. (Helped me a lot!) :)

Mogs

7. Chelsea Miles

Chelsea Miles New Member

Thank you, I appreciate it! I'll definitely give that a shot and check out the links! I'll take all the help I can get! We start the insulin Thursday. Where does everyone get the Test to check the BG at home? And where do you do it on the cat?

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

If you're in the US, then the Relion Confirm or Relion Micro (Walmart) are very popular choices. They only need a small blood sample and the test strips are reasonably priced.

To test BG levels, you get a sample from the cat's ear (see the ear diagram on the first link above) or one of the paw pads. Most people test using the ear, but we can help you learn to use either.

Mogs

9. Chelsea Miles

Chelsea Miles New Member

Okay, thank you! I appreciate everything!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Sue RN

Sue RN New Member

I found that out today when I was getting Molly's Insulin. It is much more cost-efficient to get the pens but you can withdraw the insulin from them into your syringes and don't have to buy the special needles in order to use them.

11. Chelsea Miles

Chelsea Miles New Member

We started the insulin this morning, I'll be picking him up this afternoon.. Missing him already but know he's in good hands!

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.