Just got home from the vet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Janet and Emma, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janet and Emma

Janet and Emma New Member

Over the long weekend I suspected there was something seriously wrong with Emma, who is 18 and very charming. After a few hours on Google I was certain she was diabetic. We are on vacation on an island, so the logistics were a challenge. I asked some locals for a recommendation and set off Tuesday morning for our appointment. The ferry line was full and we had a two hour wait to get off the island.

The vet confirmed my suspicions - Emma's blood glucose was 38! She wasn't well enough to go home, so we stayed on the mainland until the vet closed for the day, then took her to the emergency hospital where she would spend the night. The vet was amazing - she offered to pick Emma up from the hospital when it closed at 8 am and take her back to her clinic, to save us another round trip on the ferry. Emma was a bit better that night, but she wasn't well enough to stay alone at the vet clinic overnight, so the vet took her to her own home to save us the expense of another night at the emergency clinic!

This morning we picked Emma up, along with her special food and her glucometer and her box of needles and her insulin (in a bag with an ice pack) and two other meds. Luckily my husband made a video of the vet showing us how to do everything, because I have a serious case of information overload!

I have created a spreadsheet to track her blood sugar readings and set alarms on the iPad with reminders - test time, med #1, med #2, insulin shot ...

I am really happy to know there is a forum - what a crazy week it's been!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome, you seem to understand what is needed with the possible exception of food. There really is no need for vet prescription food if there is good. low-carb canned food available where you live.
    Where do you live generally?

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Janet, welcome to you and Emma. What a pretty girl she is! And what a great vet!!! All the info is overwhelming at first, but it will become much easier as you go. If you have any questions go to the Health Forum where there are plenty folks that can answer your questions.

4. Janet and Emma

Hi there! We split our time between Toronto and an island near Kingston, Ontario. Kingston has two large pet chains, so once we get Emma stabilized we will get food there.

5. Janet and Emma

Thank you! Your avatar looks like Emma's flat-mate Connor

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

wow sounds like you really handled that like a champ, and that vet is an angel. You will find this forum a fantastic resource of experienced people going through the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.