? Just hit our first blue, have a couple questions!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chloe007, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

So it's not our first blue per say, but it's our first meaningful one IMO (I know it's a high blue, but it's definitely a change for us!). Oscar's pre shots have been higher than usual since we upped his dose, and I'm kind of confused on what to think lately. I know it's likely he's going to bounce, but for my peace of mind, if he doesn't- what would I do for his AMPS? I won't be home tomorrow to monitor his morning cycle, at least not until +8. Wondering in what instance would I skip a shot, give a reduced dose or shoot anyway...and if I were to give a reduced dose..what would it be?

I know I'm overthinking, from what I've gathered from Oscar...he likes to bounce. Chances are he will skyrocket..but this was surprising so I'm just trying to prepare myself for another possible surprise if/when it happens.

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Congrats to ending up in the Blues.

A skipped dose are usually done after a severe hypo, which you haven't had yet so no need for that.

On your 3.5 dose you have many reds still but also a few yellows, and it's just been a few days on the 3.5 so inspite that one Blue, to me it looks like you should stay on the 3,5 dose.

3. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Oh yeah, no, I'm not thinking about reducing him at all. I was just wondering what I would do if his numbers were still under 200 come shot time if I won't be home to monitor him.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I agree with Bron about stalling without feeding if BG is under 200 and retest to see if BG is rising on its own. If it's rising and then over 200 then you can go ahead and shoot because insulin won't start working immediately and BG will be higher when it does onset. If it's the same or lower, then I'd definitely post for assistance.

Loving that blue but that was a 200 point drop in 3 hours and as you said, most likely to set off a bounce so I don't think you are going to be faced with an exceptionally low pre-shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.