Just joined.. My male 11 year old kitty recently diagnosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by laylalair, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laylalair

laylalair New Member

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes a couple weeks ago. He used to weight 29 pounds. I just kept a bowl out and he ate at will, as did my other 14 year old cat, and an inside-outside cat that is new on the scene. I did not realize he had just about stopped eating because I have three cats that ate from the same bowl, but he had. First trip to the vet showed he had lost 8 pounds and diabetes was discovered.

The food from the vet: I do not know where to begin. He will eat a very small portion of the wet purina DM food but would rather perish that eat the dry they sold me. When I went back to the vet for a recheck he had lost over a pound that week.

I joined the facebook support group and found out a lot of good info about the prescribed foods, and today went and bought some fancy feast that he seems to like much better. Maybe now I can get him to eat because I feel like he is wasting away before my eyes.

The trouble I am having:

My cat is used to grazing and eating a bite or two at a time. It is really hard to get him to eating 2 or 3 meals instead of the bite size all day snacking. Does anyone have suggestions to motivate them to eat more at one time.

I am feeding three times a day right now. Once at 8 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon, and 9 at night. He ate about half of a can of fancy feast at 3 today but not all.

2. LynRich

LynRich Member

Hello laylalair nice to meet you. My cat Squiggles was only diagnosed a few weeks ago, so I'm still trying to sort things out. I havn't managed to persuade her to stick to 3 meals a day yet , she's still grazing, but there's people on here who have got their cats into a routine & I'm sure they'll be along soon to help you.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

It is OK to continue allowing the cat to graze. In fact, it allows the food to come in as the insulin takes effect and may help keep the glucose levels smoother.

For dry food, until you can get them to good, low carb, over the counter (ie, not budget ruining!) canned food such as Friskies pates, there is Evo Cat and Kitten, Stella and Chewey's freeze dried, and Young Again Carb (internet only).
    Per Cat Info, wet food is better, but first, the cat must eat. Also, gradual changes of 20-25% new food each day reduces food refusals and GI upsets.

What insulin are you using? What dose? And are you home testing to monitor glucose levels?

4. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are starting to get things in hand. I think food is big part of the puzzle. Just be aware than changing foods to a low carb wet food can drop their blood glucose levels and therefore need for as much insulin. As BJM said do it gradually and make sure you monitor your cat.

With regards grazing I would give me cat mini meals throughout the first part of each cycle and then just make sure food was lifted two hours before the next insulin shot was due so that any blood glucose test you do isn't affected by food. Small mini meals are better for the pancreas and so grazing should be okay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.