Just learned of this group ;newly loss and 1 remaining diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Renee’, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renee’

Renee’ New Member

Hello everyone,
    I had 2 cats who were both diabetic. I took them to the vet and they were started on Solar star Lantus. I was told to only give them the Diabetic DM wet (can) and dry food. I was shown how to give shots and come in for blood work every few months. Butterscotch was diagnosed maybe 3 yrs. ago or so while Peanut was diagnosed 1 year ago. I do not believe either was regulated on insulin. I switched about 3 months ago to Vetsulin due to the cost of insulin. Vet didn't like the idea but agreed to it.
    I learned of this group from Robyn. She was instructing me on how to care for my diabetic cats , switching foods and charting myself while taking his glucose levels.
    I had taken Butterscotch to the vet 3/18/19 because he didn't look right. They squeezed me in for an appt. & the Vet examining him said Dr. Lisa (she didn't see my cat) told her to up his dose from 4.5 to 6 units Vetsulin. He has been unregulated all these years. Wednesday, 3/20/19, I noticed he was not his normal self. He wasn't eaten and looked lethargic. I gave him his insulin in am, came home and he still wasn't right. Went to church , came home and gave him his pm insulin dose. He still hadn't eaten much. I wrote on message board asking what I needed to do. I tried to feed him his food but he wouldn't eat. Tried tuna and he ate very little. Wouldn't drink. I put honey on his gums. Finally took him to ER Vet at 12:00-12:30 am (not sure exact time). Some suggested he was hypo, others said DKA. Chris & Jenna took the time to help me and get care paid for Butterscotch. Jenna helped me with what needed to be done and spoke with the Vet. Unfortunately he was in real critical condition with glucose level over 700, liver & kidney failure. I hated to make the decision and it broke my heart but when I went in to see him, he was in pain and had 1 eye half open. He was making a strange noise almost like purring but it was not. I knew I couldn't put him through anymore especially since he was so critical and chances were so slim (they told me about 5%) . I didn't want to see him suffer anymore. Butterscotch crossed the Rainbow bridge on Thur., 3/21/19. I am beyond devastated.
    I asked the Vet & ER Vet for their reports of what was done and the tests performed. I used both Vets for Butterscotch on a regular basis. The Vet who upped his dose said he wasn't regulated and possible acromegaly which he would never be regulated. ER Vet called me today and said final diagnosis of Butterscotch's death was DKA. His sugar was too high, severely dehydrated, electrolytes off, acetosis, ketones in urine, liver & kidney failure. I blame the Vet for not listening to me when I told her I wanted to switch insulin to Lantus, switch his food and monitor his glucose levels myself. Her response was to wait a week and have them do a curve with hospitalization in a week. I took him to the Vet to get well, not die.
    I called another Vet( same practice but different location) who works with home testing and will be on board with me (Thanks Robyn). Waiting for a call back for appt.
    I want to learn how to care for Peanut's diabetes so he doesn't have any problems. I am home testing although with my work schedule, it is hard to test . I do test before his shots . I try to test every 6 hrs too.
    I watched the videos and been reading up on all this. I am unsure of how to link to a spread sheet but I do record his numbers and time. I will switch his foods and insulin once the Vet sees him .
    Thank you all for this group.
    Thank you Robyn, Chris and Jenna

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I’m so sorry for your loss of sweet Butterscotch :bighug: I’m glad you’ve found us and are home testing Peanut. We can help you get him regulated come to the Main Health forum and ask any questions you have. Hope to see you there!

3. Larissa and Motley

Larissa and Motley Member

This place has helped me keep my sanity. My Motley was diagnosed in February and we've had a pretty rough go. Welcome, you're in good hands now =).

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh Renne, this is a heartbreaker and I am sending lots of comfort and hugs your way. :bighug:
    I am very glad of your resolve to learn how to care for Peanut and we will help every step of the way. First, Lantus is a great and effective insulin for cats, and you can buy it from Marks Marine in Canada (with an Rx from vet) at about 2/3 of the cost here in the U.S.
    If you get the pens, you use them like a vial, and can use all of it to the last drop, it's a much better buy. We can provide information on how to order and how to use the pens when/if you wish.

Please take a few minutes and create a signature so Peanut's information is available with each of your posts.
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Here is how to set up the spreadsheet we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Many members work long shifts, odd hours, or travel for work and they are also working out the testing process and timing. You will be able to get suggestions and advice from those working on the same problems, in addition from the long time experienced members here who have advised others. Sharon suggested you post in the Main forum, and that's good advice. This forum is like the welcome mat, and doesn't get as much traffic and "eyes on" as the Main forum.

You have each member's support, we are a community with the love and care of our furkids at the center.
    If you can find some time, start again at the beginning. Read the Getting Started and the Education sections on the Home page. There may be some information that you have not read or heard about before. There is a great deal to learn, and unfortunately, my dear, you have learned so much in a very difficult way. But you are going forward now, with a powerful reason and drive. We will do whatever we can to help. :cat:

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Get script for lantus or have vet fax to marks marine pharmacy in Canada.

A box of 5 pens (15 ml in total) (1 bottle is only 10 ml) is under $200 including shipping. I just got levemir for $169 and it 'costs a wee bit more than lantus. Keep it in fridge an d it will last until expiration which is usually 2 yrs out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.