Just learning about diabetes...and feeling overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill & Pansy Panini, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Pansy Panini

Jill & Pansy Panini Member

Hello! So glad to have found this forum. My cat Pansy was diagnosed in 6/19. Shots have been a challenge, and I've just learned to do home glucose monitoring. I am feeling pretty overwhelmed with all of this. Vetsulin didn't work and we started Lantus on 7/17. Had a scary hypoglycemia event on Tuesday. I live by myself and finding ways to shoot and test Pansy has been difficult and upsetting. I am wondering if anyone has tips. She is not mellow, she does not take kindly to pokes - she wriggles, jerks and growls. And I am afraid of needles and distressed by causing her discomfort.

Are there any other forum members in Olympia Washington?

Jill

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jill and welcome to you and Pansy. This all can be very overwhelming at first, and yes, we can help with information, suggestions and lots of support while you are learning about effective diabetic treatment.

If you have a few minutes would you please create a signature so we can see Pansy's information each time you post? Saves asking/answering repeatedly or trying to search back through previous posts.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Another thing that will help us help you now that you have started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

If you will post in the Main Health forum HERE going forward your questions and concerns can be read by more members and you will start getting some suggestions and answers. Many members have had to deal with diabetic kitties on their own..injections, testing, the whole ball of wax and they can share what they found worked for them. If you like you can copy your message here and start a new thread there, and paste the message.

We don't want you dealing with all this feeling alone, and surely want to help you avoid another hypo event. I do know that we have a member in Yelm WA but I'm not sure how far that is from you. I am across the state in Spokane, and not at all handy, sorry to say.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Some find sitting the cat while they are eating is easier and the cat doesn't really notice. If course that's not always the case.

For testing, each test give pansy a treat she loves that you only give at test time. My cat learned this routine pretty quickly and was much more receptive to tests. Now she could care less.

4. Jill & Pansy Panini

I

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the response. I once tried shooting while Pansy was eating and she did notice! I want her to eat her pre-injection meal l so I don't bother her. She nibbles and dillydallies like a pro. Tonight I tried the treat trick and gave her a freeze dried salmon treat...rustled the bag and she came over. Scooped her up in my lap, let her eat the treat while I was selecting a location and did the injection when she was done chewing. She made a noise but then went to her bowl and polished off the last bit of her dinner. Now she's hanging out with me on the couch.

In some ways I think this is more traumatic for me. I am a bundle of nerves and I making myself ill with stress. Oh well. I'm sure it will get better.

I'm going to watch your video now. Thanks again,

Jill

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

You being calm will definitely make it easier. Sounds silly but try singing when you do the injections.

6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Hi Jill and Pansy,
    Yes, this is more traumatic for YOU, I'm sure, as it was for me than my kitty. The first month (July) for us was a very long tedious, stressful month.
    Finding this forum and learning all you can from the stickies, and applying to Pansy WILL help you. And ask all the questions you need to ask.
    I have very good luck shooting while Tina eats. It sounds like you might be doing better than you think! The fresh needles are so sharp, which really means they are painless in nearly all cases. Your kitty is hurting without the insulin, so that itsy bitsy needle is helping not hurting! It just takes time . . .

7. (GA) Gypsy's Parent

(GA) Gypsy's Parent Member

I went through a similar situation when my cat was first diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. I stabbed myself fairly often with the large, 18 gauge needle! That doesn't happen any more. My cat has gotten "old-n-slow" and is pretty easy to catch and doesn't complain too much about being poked and prodded. Once you become more adept and calmer, your cat will also be calmer. There's nothing worse then trying to do something to a squirming cat! I live alone too. I can tell you it was a real struggle when I broke my wrist and was in a cast for seven weeks. The one thing my cat truly hates and growls and starts biting at? Using the puppy wipes to give her a "bath". But then she's never been happy getting brushed and she has a thickish coat and needs brushing to prevent mats. The 30ish gauge needles for diabetes are very small and my experience has been that the cat hardly notices.

8. Jill & Pansy Panini

I watched the video on the link you provided...and it turns out I had watched that video before when looking for tips on home BG monitoring! Ceecee sure is calm...not there with my kitty yet, at least not all the time. Yesterday while she was dozing in the sun I tested (I always use a toe pad) and she didn't move! That was a first. And today for her AM shot I just walked up, knelt down next to her, and injected, with my left hand pressing lightly on her back and lifting the skin. She started a bit but didn't move. I praised her and gave her lots of pets and scratches. And told her she is a star!

Nice to "talk" to you Janet...you're another star!

9. JanetNJ

I'm so glad she getting used to it! I'm sure she likes the extra pets and praise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.