Just looking for some support

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lenistar, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenistar

lenistar Member

Hi, everyone,

My kitty has been having vomiting episodes. We were at the vet at the end of May and had blood work, fecal exam, urinalysis, and x-rays done, and everything was normal. Things seemed to be moving toward stabilizing. But then mid-July they flared up again and the vet suggested a switch in diet. I gradually moved him from Tiki Cat chicken + egg to Weruva Lamb and Duck. At first things were good, but now the vomiting is more frequent than it's been before. We were back at the vet yesterday, and the physical exam went well. They also took blood to run a GI panel and I'm waiting for the results. Thinking that maybe the Weruva Lamb and Duck doesn't agree with him, I did some research on limited ingredient / low carb foods and found Koha Duck pate. I went out and bought that today and just fed him a small amount, which he gobbled up, but then he vomited again.

I just don't know what's wrong and I hate that I haven't been able to help him yet.

He's been getting Cerenia 1x day since Friday evening and Metronidazole 2x day (although he's thrown that up a couple times / I've haven't been able to successfully administer it every time).

I've also been giving him slippery elm bark. And he gets a probiotic.

Ugh. I'm just so upset.

Thank you for listening,
    Leni

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Poor kitty... and poor you. :bighug:

Could you try another protein instead of another duck in case that is what he is sensitive to in his current food? My sister's cat was having issues, and the vet had her put him on rabbit, and that worked for him.

Maybe the GI panel with tell you something.

3. lenistar

lenistar Member

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes, maybe it's the duck. It's hard bc I also need to find something low carb (he was pre-diabetic at one point so I don't want to push him in the wrong direction). I did pick up some Koha venison stew; I could try that. Problem is, they're going to be discontinuing that one. But I guess I could at least see if that protein agrees with him more.
    I also normally try to switch gradually when I change foods to avoid stomach issues, but if the food is *causing* stomach issues, I'm tempted to switch more quickly... Or is that a bad idea?

I'm hoping the GI panel is helpful.

I'll keep you posted. I hope your little one(s) is doing well. :bighug:

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Is he doing a "scarf and barf"?? A lot of times if they eat too quickly, it'll come right back up.

Try spreading the food out thinly on a plate instead of a bowl so he has to slow down when he eats

5. lenistar

lenistar Member

Yes, he does tend to eat rather quickly. At the next feeding, I'll use a plate and spread it out. Thank you.

6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

just a thought.... If you give fluids (even temporarily) maybe you could give the injectable cerenia.

I personally think it works better and faster for sure but it burns like fire which is why I give it in the fluid bubble. Maybe just breaking the cycle will help with the shot instead or oral? I give Rico cerenia and ondansetron oral every day but if he has a flare I go to the injectable.
    Pork and pheasant seem to be good proteins for sensitive tummys.
    my 2 cents :):bighug:

(you can purchase online it is pricey but lasts long-)

7. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

How often are you feeding? Grandpa was vomiting during every cycle until I started feeding him something every four hours. Made a huge difference.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

My civvie Harry likes to bolt down his food and will then vomit especially at breakfast,.
    To solve the problem I gave him half the meal and the other half about 20 minutes later.

9. Arkali

Arkali Member

I don't have any advice, but I hope your baby gets to feeling better. It's so hard watching them when they are sick and not knowing what to do. {{{HUGS}}}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.