Just performed 1st home test-have questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michele&Rusty, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

We just got our Newbie Kit in the mail (Thanks Lori and Tom!), we did the blood test, got good blood and the reading was 125. Is that his actual BG? or do I have to add to it?

The test went well, he seemed ok and didnt seem like it hurt him. He played for a little while, maybe 15 minutes. Then he started gagging, but all that he threw up was saliva, no hairball or any thing. Then he went over to a pillow that was on the floor and peed on it. He has never done that, as far as I know. My husband said that he was probably just mad from having his ear stuck, but he didnt seem mad to me.

Also, last night, I noticed that he is not really walking on his hocks, but his back legs are not as up as they should be, like he is halfway to walking on his hocks? Kind of hard to explain.

Also note, when we tested his BG, he hadn't had shot yet, and hadnt eaten in about 8 hrs.

Thanks in Advance for any advice!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

125 is an excellent number and not a shootable one for a new diabetic. Did you give insulin? If so, what kind and how much?

3. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Yes we gave him his insulin, he is on 2 units in the am and 2 units in the pm. I didnt give it to him until about an hour after the peeing episode though.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

When was this test done in relation to the shot? Minutes after, hours after or before?

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The reason I am concerned with the timing is that we would not advise giving 2 units at 125. That is almost a normal, non diabetic number. And if you gave 2 units when he was at that number, you run the risk of overdosing him. If he was at that number hours after the shot, it is less likely to be a concern.

Can you take another test now and see where he is?

6. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

when i did the blood test, it had been 11 hours since his last insulin shot of 2 units. Then it was an hour, or an hour and a half until we gave him his am 2 units. he is acting normal since the shot about 1 hour ago. I dont know if I want to test him again if it was what made him mad.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

To get a near normal number 11 hours after a shot most likely means that he was very low overnight on 2 units and that it would have been good to lower the dose. To give 2 more units is concerning.

My worry is that he could drop low without symptoms. 50 is a low number, 40 is a number when you might intervene with food. Below 40 is dangerous and in hypo territory. From 125, he has only a little way to drop.

Here is the info on hypo: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15887

It may be that he is fine. Or he may have peed because he is dropping low. If he were my cat, I would test him.

8. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Congrats on a successful test!

I echo Sue's concerns. While 125 is a great number, it is an indication that the insulin worked very well indeed, and also as Sue says, you don't want to give insulin unless he's aroudn 200 so that you have room for it to work but not send things too low (at least, that's the intention).

Can you test again soon and see how things are going?

9. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

I am gonna try to test again, I will be back with the results

10. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

just tested again it is 131 now

11. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Also, is there anything i should be doing about his feet?

12. Jen & Squeak

Ok, so how long after his shot is this now?

His feet/legs appear to be showing signs of diabetic neuropathy so I'd suggest heading to http://www.laurieulrich.com/jasper/ for more information. Depending on how quickly you can get him regulated, it 'should' start to ease up.

Jen

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That is a better number. I am glad he is not racing down.

So now that I am breathing better - Welcome to the Vampire Club! It is wonderful that you got your first tests in. :RAHCAT :RAHCAT And lucky that you started hometesting when you did. Sounds like he may need less insulin.

The trouble walking can be neuropathy. It is common in new diabetics and Methyl B12 can help: Neuropathy The other thing that will help is to get him into nice numbers, which you are working on.

The next time to definitely test is 6 hours after the shot. That should be around the lowest point of the cycle. If he is in the 40s or 50s, be sure and come on for help.

One thing that you can do to help us, your vet and yourself is to set up a spreadsheet. It is a great color coded tool that helps you see patterns and trends, and if you come on and need dose advice, we can see at a glance what has been happening with your kitty. Setting up a spreadsheet If you need help, just ask.

14. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Thanks for all of your help, I am at work now, so it will be after midnight before I can check him again. So when I do, if it is 120-130, where these tests have been, should I skip giving him the injection? Or only give 1 unit?
    I am working on getting the spreadsheet set up.

15. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Hi Michele! How long after the shot will it be when you can test again? We have a convention here on the board to write the numbers of hours after the shot as +1, +2, +3..... Actual times don't mean a lot here , especially since our members are in lots of different time zones. if Rusty is low when you test him next, post right away and get a test at +11 (that's 11 hours after his last shot.) That will give you time to post and to see what direction his numbers are headed. If going up one course of action, if going down we need another option.

Could you answer a few questions too?
    • What insulin are you using? The type of insulin makes a difference in determining the dose.
      Where are you generally (major city nearby)?
      When was he diagnosed?
      Any other health problems?

Inappropriate peeing is often a sign of a urinary infection. Has he been checked recently?

16. JenElliot

JenElliot Member

From everything I've heard, read and experienced, in general, you should not shoot with a number under 200, especially if your cat is newly diagnosed. I've been through hypo with my cat (full-body seizure - very scary!), it can be life-threatening.

17. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

It will be almost 12 hours from his last injection by the time that I get home, I will test him then.

Rusty was diagnosed on 2/11/11, his BG was 321 that day(it was on a Friday), we took him back on Monday morning after making him fast, and BG was 421. He got an insulin injection then from the vet, 4 units. It seemed to perk him up and we were told to give him 4 units a day, and we took him back on that Thursday and his BG was in the 500s.
    The vet said to start giving him 4 units in the am, and 2 in the pm. We did that for a couple of days, then I found this message board, and from everything on here, started giving him 2 units, 2 times a day.
    He is on PZI
    I have started feeding him all wet food, and he has stopped drinking constantly and is not peeing huge amounts anymore.
    Everything on him is improving, that is why I am concerned about his back legs. The vet always takes his temp at his visits and it has always been normal. I will keep an eye to see if he pees on anything else. If I hadnt of seen him do it, I would have been certain that it was our other male cat, who has in the past liked to pee on stuff(But hasnt in a long time)

Thanks for all the advice you all have!

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Kitties are usually stressed at the vet (strange noises, animals, smells and lots of people who are NOT the mommy) and stress raises bg levels. That's why we test at home and use those numbers to determine doses. So the numbers the vet got can be much higher and the dose prescribed can be too high.

Here is some info on PZI: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32799

I would say if you get home and at +12 he is over but around 200, you could give .5 unit. If he is in the 300s, you should be safe with 1 unit. If he is under 200, I would skip the shot and start new in the morning, when you can get some tests in and see what the insulin is really doing. It is always nerve wracking to give a dose at night and not be sure what it will do. I would play it safe.

19. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Just got home awhile ago, and did the BG test. It was 280, and it was a horrible fight to try to get it from him, he was mad and kept trying to get away from me, but after a 5 minute struggle I finally got enough blood. We gave him 1 unit of pzi, I had to get my husband up to help with the injection because he was fighting that also and turned around and bit me and was growling. It makes me feel so bad, because he is NOT a bad natured cat, he has always been even tempered. :sad:
    I am still working on my spreadsheet, will hopefully get it up sometime tomorrow.

20. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We have some ways to deal with kitties who fight at first. One is the burrito which we used with Oliver. We put a towel down on the couch and set him on it. It was next to the arm of the couch. Then we wrapped him up so only his head was showing. I could gently press him into the couch arm so he wouldn't get away while I did the test. After a while, he knew a treat was coming afer the poke and we stopped using the towel. It sounds so difficult at first but we see very few cats who don't come around to accepting the test and even jumping up to the testing spot when it is time.

Another idea is to give tiny bits of treat while you are testing. Find a spot and get your equipment ready. Give him a few treats and poke while he is eating.

It is hard when they fight at first. But it is the very safest way to deal with a diabetic cat. If you had continued with 2 units at the lower numbers you are getting, he might have hypoed. That is much worse than him being a little angry at a poke.

You can let him settle for 15-30 minutes before you give the shot. We always gave it while Oliver's head was deep into his breakfast or dinner and he never noticed.

Your one unit sounds like a good dose, but I would still at least get a test every am and pm before the shot so you are sure the insulin is not working so well that he is going down more than we would expect.

Don't get discouraged. It will get easier.

21. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Hi Michele:

Just wanted to say hi and offer some support. I’m a “noob” too :) Our cat Asher was dx’ed two months ago and I have to tell you, the testing part does get easier. I didn’t believe it when people told me that but it IS true.

We make a big deal of telling him what a good boy he is, do some head scratchins and belly rubs, quickly do the poke, then feed a chicken treat with more praise. He actually purrs thru it all now. And his brother sits next to us and purrs too since he gets a chicken treat for being a good bro :)

My partner Tom holds the cat when we test if we’re both home, but if I am home alone I do the test on the floor with Asher between my knees. I can juggle everything better that way.

Also wanted to mention a tip we got from someone here that helped us a lot. We put a warm water filled pill bottle behind his ear when we do the poke. I heat the water in the opened bottle in the microwave for about 18 seconds. We put the cap on and hold it to his ear for a bit before the poke. A warm ear will give you a way nicer and easier drop of blood than a cold ear.

Here’s some digital good vibes coming your way......
    You’ll get some great help here at FDMB!
    All the best to you!

Donna and Asher

22. Jen & Squeak

What's your testing routine? I ask because my Squeak HATES being restrained. So much so that I thought I'd never be able to test him. But I soon learned NOT to restrain him. I would sit on the floor, legs in a 'v' shape, with Squeak inbetween. I would warm his ear with one hand with a rice sock, and brush or rub him with the other (right hand). THen I'd grab my testing supplies from beside me and voila, easy peasy. He usually purred as I tested.

23. hollyall

hollyall Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say hi and welcome. I'm a newbie too. My cat Max was diagnosed in early January and I was right where you are, worried with a lot of questions. For me, it was overwhelming at first, going from knowing nothing about diabetes to needing to know everything, but you've come to the right place. The advice I've received here has been invaluable and has really helped me turn Max's health around. Giving shots, pricking ears, convincing kitty to eat a different diet, it's a lot to deal with at first, but you can do it!

Also, Max was terrible to test at first. I didn't think it would, but it did get easier. Although I still need a little help if someone is around, I can do it on my own in a pinch. The test doesn't hurt Max. He just does not like to hold still for it. The kitty burrito is a good trick along with lots of praise and a chicken treat. When Max hears the meter beep that it's done, he jumps immediately for his treat. Along with warming his ear so it bleeds a little easier, I found gently rubbing from base to tip really helpful. I also found that I got better with the testing too. It used to take me several pokes before I could get one in the right spot and get enough blood. I'm much better and less nervous now. For shot time, if I could get the shot in him while he was eating, it was easy peasy and he didn't notice a thing, seriously not even a twitch. If I was slow in getting it ready and he was done eating, it was another story. Max is the sweetest, nicest cat, but he doesn't like to hold still, at least when I want/need him to.

24. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Thanks everyone, I am about to try again for his morning test. Maybe this one wont be so bad. I havent been restraining him, I figured that would just freak him out worse.

25. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Test is done, it was 289. It was a struggle this time too, but not as long as the one last night. Should I give him 1 unit or 2?

26. Jen & Squeak

Personally, I'd stick with 1 unit till you get a good idea of how he responds to it...

27. donnahc

Seems like 1 unit is a good way to play it safe. Can you get some tests in today, like +3 or +6 after the shot?

28. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

I can probably get in one more test before I go to work, I am going to give 1 unit. And I think that I have the spreadsheet done right!

29. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Your spreadsheet is attached. But I am wondering if it is sure yours. It has Cosmos and Danger on it and is several years old? If you have questions, send me a pm.

30. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Just did test again, it was 284, has only gone down 5 points in the 2 hours since his injection. I wonder if 2 units is a better dose for him while it is in the 280's.
    Yes, I attached the spreadsheet wrong, I am going to try to figure that out also

31. donnahc

Sue is the one to ask on dosing, but if your cat is like mine, you might not see much downward movement until +4 or +6 after the shot. So don’t worry too much yet.
    Again, ask the experts, but I would think you’d want to look at the numbers you have from the whole day to decide what’s the next move.

32. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Will do Donna, now my spreadsheet is correct

Thanks,

33. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Ideally with PZI, you get a nice gentle drop with the lowest point around 6 hours after the shot. Let's see how he does on one unit for the cycle. The 200s are nice numbers for a new diabetic.

Someone once said and it is often repeated - this sugar dance is a marathon, not a sprint.

34. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Tried to test tonight when I got home, he was horrible, I think he spent the whole time I was at work trying to figure out how to fight me. After 15 minutes I gave up, and he is furious at me. So not good :sad:

35. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Here is another way to test: Clothespin trick It mimics the way a mother cat carries her kittens by the scruff of the neck. Most people only use it for a little while until the mom and the cat get used to the process. You are sure giving him a treat each time, successful or not?

The other thing, though it sounds silly, is to tell yourself you have to do this and do it with confidence - that it is necessary to save his life (and it is!) and you will both get through this. If you are firm and positive about it, that will help.

It does get easier. What you will need to do is find the way that works for you and Rusty. Don't give up.

The other thing you can do is to post your city and state and ask for help in a new thread. If one of our members live close by, they could come over and help.

36. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Thanks Sue, I am struggling with this so bad. This morning was a little better, I actually got blood the 1st time I tried, then he reached up with his paw and knocked the tester out of my hand and blood smeared everywhere, but yet there was not enough to get an accurate reading and I wasted about 5 test strips. Ended up having to stick him again, but finally got it. I sure will be glad when this gets easier!! Yes I am giving him treats, good test or not.

37. donnahc

Oh Michele, so sorry you are struggling with this. It will get better. And just know that sometimes weird stuff happens, like the cat shaking off an awesome drop of blood and me getting blood all over my face and glasses. That incident kind of broke me in ;)

Does he have magic scratching spots like between his shoulder blades or behind his ears, where you could rub him first for a little bit and get him happy and calm before you test? We also try to sneak tests in when the cat is sleeping in his bed. Sometimes we get away with this for the evening pre shoot if he’s not up begging for food yet.

38. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

michelle, i'm feeling for ya! my cat is newly diagnosed also, and he's ornery half the time when i'm trying to poke him and fine the other half. i use the burrito method too - although he hates being restrained, i actually think he doesn't mind the burrito as much as he did us just trying to hold him still. just now he purred the whole time i was wrapping him up. we've been hometesting for less than 2 weeks. hang in there!

39. Jen & Squeak

One thing that may or may not help...

Do not apologize to him. Adopt a very matter-of-fact no bs type of attitude. Explain to him what you are doing and why, and while explaining it make sure you picture it in your head. Tell him it doesn't hurt and that it will help you help him to feel better. Sounds corny but it can help a lot.

40. hollyall

So sorry you are having a hard time with the testing. Just do your best and don't give up. I have tons of sympathy cause I have to admit, of all the news things I had to learn to do, testing was the hardest. I think I said it before. The test doesn't hurt Max. He just does NOT want to hold still for me, especially for the pre shot tests before he eats (he wants food!, not a test). Everyone said it would get easier, and I kept wondering when. It has gotten a little easier. Then there was someone who started testing right around the same time as me on the board and posted how within two days his kitty would hop up and wait for the test easy peasy. I was sooo jealous. It sounds weird, but one time when I was having particular difficulty, the clothes pin method Sue recommended helped. I used chip clips that didn't pinch super hard cause I didn't have clothes pins. I was very skeptical, but it did seem to help relax Max (I swear he was smiling). He still wiggled a bunch, but it was better. I've also done the Donna trick and sneaked a test in while he was sleeping (LOL). Good luck! P.S. Love the pic of Rusty in your avatar.

41. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

thanks, I am gonna keep trying new things until I figure out what works for us. My husband said that I need to leave him alone and just give him the insulin at the dosage the vet prescribed, that all I am doing is making him miserable. but if I can ever get him used to it, it will all be worth it.

42. hollyall

Like you said, you just need to find what works for you and Rusty. Every kitty is different. I can commiserate on comments form the peanut gallery. I got bunches from my family on not needing to torture the cat. However, Max is doing so much better now that the comments have ceased. :D

43. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes. it is worth it. We have dozens of people who test daily for days and weeks and then one morning, the cat throws a low, unexpected number. If those people were just shooting blindly, the cat would hypo. No human diabetic would just get a dose and give it to themselves daily without checking. We figure we are going to treat out cats the same way we treat our children who might be diabetic.

It is hard at first with some cats. We spent an entire weekend poking poor Oliver before we got a drop of blood. But I am so glad we started, because we then changed him over from dry to wet food and his numbers dived 100 points overnight. If we hadn't been testing that next morning and gave him the usual dose, we could have killed him.

44. julie & punkin (ga)

i echo the "it's worth it" to test, even though it is hard, even if you don't have support from your husband. i wonder what would've happened to my cat on Monday if i had just been giving what the vet prescribed and not testing. seriously, he got down to 34 at +3 . . . just keep on trying. i think the burrito wrapping actually calms them when they know they can't go anywhere. it's made our testing easier, that's for sure.

45. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Yes I think that it is worth it too. I know he was mad, but I dont think he was "miserable". And even if he was, miserable is better than dead!

46. Jen & Squeak

No offence to husbands, but for some reason, they can have a hard time with medical treatments and especially situations that involve going against a vet's instructions. They really don't want the cat to suffer, and they do not like going against authority (I'm generalizing but have seen it TONS). It seems that 'moms' tend to have a different type of instinct.

hugs

Jen

47. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, please know testing is invaluable! You're doing a great thing by checking him before each shot to make sure he's not at 70 or something, then shooting 2 units on a 70! I learned the hard way, and try my hardest to let people know how important it is to hometest. Cuddles lived through her hypo, but I still feel bad about it, as I found her limp & drooling on herself the next morning. :sad: She was ok after that, but did have some random seizures since that episode, brought on by specific sounds. I don't EVER want that to happen to anyone else. PLEASE learn from my mistake! It still brings me to tears, thinking she was by herself all night, possibly (& most likely) having seizures. It's soooo important to test, and you WILL get into a routine eventually! I noticed that about cats. They definitely like their routines!

Also, I've heard of cats freaking out, hiding, etc.. before a shot when it's been making them feel WORSE too. Since you started off at 4 units, then lowered it to 2units eventually, it may have been too much for him, and it's not something that makes him feel better. Then again, he may just be having a hiss-fit since hometesting is new to him, and he's not sure he likes it right now. ;-) They all eventually DO get used to it! Especially if treats are involved! When Cuddles had CRF & kidney issues, I started giving her sub-q fluids. I felt like a noob all over again! But again, we just had to get into our own routine with that then. Any new thing, it seems kitties aren't necessarily happy with it until you establish a routine with it. Then they eventually accept it to be the regular routine.

Good luck, and welcome to the vampire club! ;-)

48. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Thanks Jen, I was thinking about what you said about men and them not liking when you go against dr orders, and that is true, except when it comes to them (or my DH anyways), will not follow dr's orders at all-lol

And on a positive note: I got home a little over an hour ago, and did the blood test. I wrapped him up in a big beach towel and used the rice sockie for about 3 minutes to make sure his ear was good and warm, and got it and he stayed still and it was over quick!! YAY!!! His reading was 342, so that wasnt too good, but it wasnt a horrible experience like last night. I also stuck some catnip from the plant outside before I came in, and I know he could smell it. And once test was done I let him have the catnip. He is taking a nap now!! WOOHOO!!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

49. Jen & Squeak

wooo ! Congrats on the test! Better numbers will come :)

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Fantastic! See, catnip is your own particular trick that works for the two of you. Now you can suggest it to other newbies as an idea to help.

I see you went back up to 2 units yesterday. (great job on the spreadsheet btw) What numbers and dose do you have for today? If you gave 2 units, I would get at least a few numbers in during the day to see how it goes.

When you skip a dose like you did in the pm on 3/2, you can expect a high amps. You don't want to react to that with a higher dose. This dance is all about starting low and going slow. It is also about getting those mid cycle numbers so you can really get a whole picture. Picking a dose that works with your numbers and trying to fold it for a few cycles is also a good idea.

51. julie & punkin (ga)

just wanted to say congrats on having an easier time getting the test done! a couple of successes sure helps make it easier to hang in there.

52. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

Yes I did give him 2 units yesterday am, and last night as #s are high, they are pretty high this am at 472, so I am going to give him 2 units and check his blood again before I start getting ready for work. He was easy peasy this am too. Catnip is it for him. That plant better start growing quickly or it isnt gonna have any leaves left in a week or so.

53. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hope you can get some mid cycle numbers in this weekend, Michele, so we know that the higher numbers are really high, and not a bounce from low numbers at nadir. Any numbers you can get help you get a whole picture of how the insulin is really working.

54. hollyall

Woohoo! So glad you found a trick that helps. Makes it so much easier. Keep us posted how the weekend goes.

55. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Yup - catnip worked for Sweety too! One whiff of that in the air, and I can do anything I want to her ears :)
    I also began playing with, and rubbing her ears a lot, (like I was "play" testing) not just when I tested. She loves it, and doesn't even notice when I test - she just wants that catnip! I grow it for her, nice fresh leaves.
    Keep trying, you'll get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.