Just returned a meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steve & Jock, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Just thought I'd share this with you, it's especially relevant to those in UK or Europe.

My Freestyle Mini meter conked out last week and was giving "Er4" whatever strip I inserted.

I thought "Well, it's over 3 years old, I'll just buy a new one." I went to my local Tesco and bought a Freestyle Lite for £9.

The new meter works fine, but I checked the prices at the store for the strips, and they're about
    £25 for 50 strips if you admit it's for a cat
    £22 if you say it's for yourself
    £15 or more even on ebay.co.uk for the best 'buy it now' deals.

Meanwhile my old Freestyle strips usually cost about £10 a pack on ebay.

I bought a new set of batteries (£3.20) for the old meter and it started working fine again. And I gave back the Freestyle Lite. It's one meter I can't afford to feed!

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you get errors on your meter, contact the company's Customer Service. Sometimes they will replace the meter at no cost. I know that I have had issues with my Relion meters (usually caused by Callie knocking it off the counter :roll: ) and they have always replaced it. It is worth a try before buying a new meter.

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

There's a dearth of One Touch Ultra test strips going on ebay at mo. Most look like their seling for around £5 a box, cheapest I've ever seen.
    Accu check Aviva are atround £10 for 50.

4. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Interesting. I tried returning my One Touch Ultra Mini, but Walmart would not take it back. I tried telling them that I would even use the money towards the ReliOne strips.. it was a no go. ohmygod_smile So I was out like $45. :-x

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You have to call the manufacturer, not the store you bought it from. Most stores will not let you return blood related products, even if they are unopened. It may be a state law that prevents them from doing so.

6. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I once badgered WalMart into taking back Relion syringes. When I opened the box, the lines were all blurry. I was told they aren't allowed to take them back, but I kept saying they were faulty and finally found a person in charge who would agree with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.