Just saying Hi

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jadebelle, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadebelle

jadebelle New Member

Hi Everyone
    I'm new here. I have a 15 yr old Abyssinian cross male called Trix who was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 months ago. I got him as a 9 yr old from the RSPCA and he was overweight when I got him. I knew that diabetes was a possibility but you never really think it's going to happen. I began to think something was wrong when he started drinking and peeing lots more than normal. he went down hill really fast and I thought I was going to lose him one night. But after a couple of days at the vets to get his blood sugar stabilized he bounced back much better than i thought. It took a couple of months to get his insulin dose right but it did happen. I had to learn about insulin and needle gauges and all sorts of things I never thought I'd need to know. I get the needles and sharps bin from the local chemist and I was worried that they would think I was a drug addict or something but one of the chemists had a diabetic cat so understands what I need. the costs, while they do add up, haven't been as bad as I thought it would be. Luckily everything runs out at different times so I don't have to pay for everything out of one pay.
    now his blood sugar is down to a good level my next challenge is to get the weight off. That is what brings me here. Trix has been on the food and the amount the vet reccommended, stopped my neighbour feeding him 'little snacks' like chicken kiev and black pudding and he still hasn't lost any weight. He hasn't put any on but he hasn't lost any either.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    how long did it take to lose the weight?
    I don't know what else to do
    Jadebelle

2. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you both. What a handsome boy you have!

I will be useful if you could tell us what sort of food you are feeding and the amount he is getting. It is better if they lose weight slowly and steadily so I am sure someone here will be able to help you work out the calories he needs to drop slowly.

It would also be good if you could let us know what insulin he is I and what dose (if you could out it in your signature that would be great).

Feel free to ask any questions you like. The main health forum is probably a better place to post questions as you will get more people looking at it.

Best wishes

Sarah

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Jadebelle, and welcome to you and to supersweet Trix,

My Bertie was on the chunky side at diagnosis. I never put him on a diet but he did gradually lose weight over time (he'd been eating dry food prior to his diagnosis, but after he was diagnosed I switched him to low carb wet food and he slimmed down as a result of that.) As Sarah said, it is very important that cats lose weight slowly.

I'm sure there are folks here who can help you with specific weight loss advice. If you post your question on the main Health forum - maybe saying what Trix's weight is, what you're feeding him, and how much - you'll get a lot more responses. The 'welcome forum' is really just a place to say 'Hi' :)

Welcome aboard!

Eliz

4. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Welcome! :bighug:

How wonderful of you to adopt him and great job on getting Trix's numbers down to a good level. You might be interested in reading this link regarding feline obesity and safe ways to help your kitty lose weight. Feel free to poke around a bit and please let us know if you have any questions. :cool:

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Losing weight will require slightly cutting back on the amount you are feeding, maybe by a teaspoon or two. If you replace that with water, he may still feel somewhat full.
    Also, spreading the food into 2-3 mini-meals morning and night will help keep him from getting too hungry.

KPassa likes this.
  6. What kind and what amounts of food did your vet recommend?
    How much does Trix weigh now?
    And what do you think his ideal weight would be?

7. jadebelle

jadebelle New Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)
    Before the diagnosis he was having 1/4 cup of Hill's prescription diet for urinary problems (c/d i think) or a pouch of commercial wet food. The vet put Trix on 1/4 cup of Hill's prescription diet: M/D dry or 1 tin of M/D wet after the diagnosis but I only ever gave him 1/2 a tin because he didn't eat it all. He started in August then as there was no change in his weight, after Christmas the vet said to cut it back to 1/8 of a cup. She was ok with me mixing in about 1/4 of a tin just so he'd eat it as he won"t eat the dry food two feeds in a row. He weighs 7.6 kgs and the vet would like to get him under 7. The vet would have expected to see some change by now after the reduction. He is a large bodied cat (if his head is at my shoulder his tail nearly reaches my knee) so he's never going to be a dainty 4gk kitty. I always compare him to the build of a rugby player.
    I've talked to the vet and she called Hill's to get their advice. She doesn't know of any other weight management food suitable for diabetic cats in Australia at the moment. It was great of her to go the extra mile for me. Now we're just waiting to hear back before we can come up with a new plan of attack.
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend
    Jadebelle

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Both you and your vet read should read over Cat Info, written by DVM Lisa Pierson before going by what a pet food manufacturer tells you. Many of the prescription diets are no better, and in some cases, are worse, than an over the counter food or a home prepared recipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.