Just spayed kitten with lump under her incision- worrisome?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melanie and Smokey, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I don't know if we need to be worried enough to take her in to the ER tonite or tomorrow or not. She was spayed on Tues. No complications, but she is crazy active and there's really no way for us to slow her down much short of physical restraint and that seemed worse for her stomach so we'd just encourage non-jumping/climbing/fighting play. We were putting her in a bedroom by herself, but she was getting paniced by that and seemed more frenzied so I've left her loose since yesterday.

There is no redness and she doesn't seem to be in pain. It looked like it might be a little puffy earlier, but she's got a little pudge roll going on so it was hard to tell if it was just a little baby fat or not. Tonite when I come home its clearly a lump in there right under the incision spot and its about the size of a mini-reeces pb cup, maybe a little longer. Is this normal? The tech did say if she's active it could build fluid at the incision and slow healing. I don't want to ignore something that could be dangerous like it herniating or something, but don't want to run her to the ER for nothing 'cause our experiences there have been horrid.

Anyone seen enough spays to have an opinion?

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Re: Just spayed kitten with lump under her incision- worriso

It could be fluid or it could be a hernia -- I haven't seen many though, so leave it to more experienced folks

3. Wulfwin

Wulfwin Member

It's not uncommon for there to be some tissue reaction at the surgery site. Does it feel harder or softer? Hernias typically are pretty soft when you press on them. Some redness or bruising also is not uncommon. Things to definitely watch out for are if the incision looks open, any signs of infection (drainage from the incision, yellow color, etc.), or if she's been bothering the incision.

4. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

I agree with the above as one who has spayed hundreds of kittens.

Oh...and I never confine them or ask them to "be quiet" or to "slow down" because it ain't gonna happen! :D

5. Melanie and Smokey

Thanks for the answers everyone. The lump feels firm when I press on it. Its gotten bit bigger overnight. But she still doesn't seem affected much. She did climb under the covers last night to snuggle, which isn't normal for her. She of course was bombing me with toys from the top of the headboard too which is normal for her.

The vets office recommended confining her for a little healing down time because she was so crazed when she came out of surgery and she's a climber/jumper and a clutz. But she is great at playing by herself so it didn't do much good. It did keep her out of the cat room, cat trees, and Christmas tree so there wasn't quite as much climbing opportunity.

We will just monitor her for any pain or redness of the site and let our vet know next week and see if they want a recheck.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

As other have said it is not uncommon. Just look carefully to see if any pus is coming out of the incision area. The pus would be a sign of infection.

7. Melanie and Smokey

Still no discharge so that's good. Its about double the size. She's been resting more today so hopefully that will help.

Attached Files:

8. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Hmmm.....since it is so off-center....and is enlarging....I would suggest that you get your vet to palpate that on Monday. If she is acting fine, it should be fine to wait until Monday...or even Tuesday if all is still going well with her clinically.

It is odd to have a reactive incision so off-center...and since it is enlarging, it may very well be a hernia.

If she looks ill....of course take her in sooner rather than later.

9. Melanie and Smokey

Thanks so much for your advice Dr Lisa. The pic does make it look a bit more off center because her tummy skin is pretty loose so when we hold her on her back everything slides around. Unless it keeps growing we will call the vet monday morning.

10. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

And this is what makes it more apt to be a hernia because a suture reaction should stay right with the incision line and not float around.

But, of course, without the ability to palpate it, I don't know what it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.