Just started Lantus =low bgl after

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CassWTribby, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Hi everyone,

I just switched from caninsulin to Lantus today and I'm hoping my kitty Tribby will feel better and have a more stable bgl.

She has IBD and CKD so is on prednisolone and gets sub q fluids. Her IBD is pretty stable so now we need to get her diabetes sorted out!

I've read the notes and stickers about Lantus. Fingers crossed the switch goes well. She was having a hard time on Caninsulin the last few weeks. High bgl # to a hypo and back to hgl #'s. Frustrating for both if us.

I called around to all my local pharmacies and the best price I got was $119 For 5 cartridges. Not too bad in the long run.
    Nice to meet everyone!

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Welcome! I hope the switch makes an amazing difference for Tribby! :cat:

CassWTribby likes this.
  3. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Wishing Tribby a successful response to Lantus! Welcome!

CassWTribby likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome Cass and supersweet Tribby. My girl Neko, who also started with Caninsulin, eventually had to deal with CKD and IBD too. It can be hard getting a good combo of foods to handle them and diabetes. What are you feeding Tribby?

I knew you were in Canada by the insulin price. I found my best price in Safeway pharmacy (owned by Sobey), of all places, but that's in BC.

Do you have a spreadsheet started for Tribby yet? Here are the instructions: Hopefully we'll be able to help you, including getting a good starting dose for Lantus. And keep asking questions, we love to help here.

5. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cass & Tribby! Welcome, and I hope Tribby responds well to Lantus.

6. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Hello again,

Our switch didn't go as planned. I gave her 1/2 unit of langue for the first time. Got home from work 7 hours ish later and she was 3.8! She did eat some canned and her complete raw grind. Did use the litter and seems OK. I gave her honey and fed her again. Just retested and she's 11. Phew!!

Now what? I gave her her night meds, tylosin, boulardi and slippery elm (ibd kitty) and am leaving food down overnight as I usually do. I may do her sub q fluids later? I'll see how she is.

What about tomorrow?! Should I reduce to 1/4 u? I don't think I have a syringe that does 1/4unit! I can sort of see it on myu100 syringe but it is tiny!

Thanks everyone. In my panici posted on the main health page as well. Remove if needed.

7. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

68 typically isn't a concerning number on a human meter, but it really depends if you're following TR or SLGS where you go from there. Do you think you'll be able to get in a test or 2 overnight? You can do a before bed and/or set an alarm for somewhere in the middle. Lantus is dosed based on the nadir (how low they go) and not preshot numbers, so while it's imperative to know the number before you shoot, it's hard to adjust doses without knowing what's in the middle both am & pm. Additionally, many cats have different am & pm cycles (it's common for pm cycles to be lower), so that's something to keep in mind. I know it's disconcerting to see a number like that on your first day, so bumping for more experienced eyes to weight in.

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You probably don’t want to give honey unless she drops below 50 earlier in the cycle. I would have suggested that you feed her a MC minimeal and test again in 30 minutes to see if she was rising on her own.

Sometimes we see a big response to lantus right off the bat. Let’s see where she is at shot time before you decide what to do with the dose. I would get a test at +11 and post so we can see which way she is headed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.