Just starting out.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MeltyCat, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeltyCat

MeltyCat Member

Hello fellow kitty enthusiasts.

My 9 year old cat (Melty) was diagnosed with diabetes about two months ago.

First month went well, but sugars were still a bit high after taking him to the vet to be tested. So at the vet's suggestion, we decided to up his dose. Went well for about two weeks until his sugar dipped too low and I had to take him to the emergency vet for a sugar solution.

Finally bought a glucometer, a One Touch Verio. Have been checking his levels regularly the past few days, but am finding myself really stressed out by every meow or sleepy afternoon he has.

I'm assuming it will get easier. I'd really appreciate any advice :)

Thanks.
    Nikki.

2. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Nikki, welcome to our world. It does get easier. What kind of insulin are you using? What food are you feeding? I am going to find a post that I found very comforting and appropriate...brb.

3. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

4. MeltyCat

MeltyCat Member

Hello Rhonda,

Thanks very much for the letter, it does help. (Although I am lucky enough that he sleeps in bed with me normally, I think I might lose my marbles otherwise)

He is on Caninsulin, and has eaten nothing but the Wal-Mart brand kitty food all his life. While I know that sounds a bit terrible, I haven't been able to alter his diet without him getting sick. I'm hoping once he's regulated that I might be able to make some very slow changes.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

Also, here are instructions for How To Handle a Hypo

6. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

If it is canned, can you check one of the cans and give us the guaranteed analysis? Then we can figure out the carbs from there. Lower carbs, much better. If it is dry, further discussion is needed.

7. MeltyCat

MeltyCat Member

It's dry food, is that bad for a diabetic cat? :S

8. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

It is. It is MUCH higher in carbs, which translates to higher BG levels. If the cat absolutely will not eat wet food, there are two lower carb dry foods....EVO cat and kitten, and Young Again, I forget the flavor. But canned food is much better for a diabetic cat. Shiloh had only eaten dry for years. She took to the wet right away, but she did have some tummy upset (loose stool). But I add a little plain pumpkin to her food every day, and it seems to take care of it.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Cat Info, written by a vet, will explain more about feline nutrition than you ever thought you needed to know.

10. MeltyCat

MeltyCat Member

Thank you so much for the info! We are still in the figuring out stages right now. He tested at 11.9 tonight, which is his lowest ever home test. (Aside from the 2.3 at the emergency vet *shudder*)

I will write down those brands and check at the grocery store.

Should I be altering his diet now? Or would it be better to wait until his sugars seem even?

11. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

12. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

I would make the change now but slowly, Magellan dealt with the change like a champ but ecid (every cat is different.) What monitor are you using?? and are you testing at home?? all of this will get easier trust me, I am new to taking care of a sugar kitty too. :bighug::)

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Make the change about 20-25% different food per day. This will help avoid GI upsets and food refusals, plus give you a chance to observe how the glucose alters and adjust the insulin accordingly.

The glucose could drop as much as 100-300 mg/dL and drop the insulin dose as much as 2 units, based on experiences reported here.

14. MeltyCat

MeltyCat Member

This is a lot of information haha.

I also think I'm having a hard time doing the conversions in my head. Melty and I are happy Canucks, so the BG numbers are different.

After him going moderately hypo, I am concerned about it going too low, and he is at a good place currently on the dry food. My concern is that if I change to wet and continue with the same dosage, he might dip too low again and we can't handle another trip to the emergency vet.

15. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

I found that with Magellan's shift to all wet his sugars dropped over 100 pts. Now mind you Magellan is very sensitive to insulin I did the switch and started with the start low, go slow approach and now working on tight regulation sort of. I understand the fear of sugar drops trust me I was so very scared but these people are wonderful they will sit with you through the lows and hold your hand and STAY with you until you fur child is safe it can be done. Big hugs from both me and Magellan you can do this!

16. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

I understand that concern. Is your vet open to you adjusting doses on your own? Or only with the vet's input?

17. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Nikki fellow Canuck and caninsulin user (Genghis, not me!). Welcome!

What dose is Melty on now?

If you aren't already, best to test BG before shooting. In fact I got great advice here to feed and test half hour before the shot, shoot as long as his BG is above 11.2 and feed again at +2 to keep the Caninsulin from too steep a drop in his sugar. I actually feed a lot of mini meals to Genghis and this keeps her reasonably smoothed out. I also test at +3 and +5 or +6 when I can so I can see how the insulin is working and when.

I completely changed over her diet and in retrospect should have done more gradually. They say better high for a day than too low for a minute and this you know too well. But I am so glad I changed her food as I know it is helping a great deal.

18. MeltyCat

MeltyCat Member

My vet has been very good to me throughout the process. I think they were a little surprised that a young family was willing to make the financial and emotional commitment. The whole office is still very much in the picture but less appointments and more phone calls and discussions on how to proceed.

We are currently re-introducing the insulin. After the hypo event, he continued to test a little low so he was off it completely for two days. Has only had four doses (at 1 unit each) and tested at 11.9 tonight at about +3hrs from shot and dinner.

:)

Brashworks likes this.
  19. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The glucose could drop 5.5-11.1 mmol/L by changing the food.

mg/dL divided by 18 = mmol/L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.