Just switched from Vetsulin to Prozinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Catdaddy87, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

Hello everyone! I have been working on getting Sam regulated and having mixed success. Changed vets recently and due to their advice and what I have read here I decided to switch to Prozinc. I only gave two doses so far but Sam seems to be responding well. Thanks for all of the great info here!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Welcome Sam! Are you Andrew and Cassie? Or are those other cats? Regardless, welcome to you all! My kitty is Sam too!

Your signature says 1/8 cup dry food, which dry food are you feeding? It looks like you've started on a nice safe dose, so great job with that. Let us know if you have any questions!

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We'll get you up and running with ProZinc. :smuggrin:

Catdaddy87 likes this.
  4. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

I'm Andrew and my wife is Cassie. I need to update my signature. I have her on wet food now which was a chore! ;)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

You have been a huge help already! Hoping for a little less dramatic numbers with Prozinc!

6. Kris & Teasel

Hope is good! ;)

7. Djamila

Ah! Yes, I have a kibble addict too. He hasn't been on kibble for years now, but will still sometimes paw at the cupboard where I used to store it. So great job getting him transitioned! That's a big job!

8. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

I was starting to lose hope in making the switch and even bought some Dr. Elsey's to have on hand. I was leaving a little bit of the Dr. Elsey out for her to snack on during the day but it seems like once she eats dry food again, she doesn't want to eat the wet food and we start all over. :banghead: Sam is very stubborn!

9. Djamila

Maybe it's an attribute of their name? ;)

Same thing here: Sam gets a little Evo kibble if his BG drops too low, and for days after that he'll do everything he can to get me to give him that instead of wet food. It's like kitty heroin!

Seeing your updated signature - you probably already know this, but I would hold your current dose (or plan to do some extra monitoring) until you finish the transition off of the a/d. It's pretty high in carbs and once that is eliminated, you might see a decrease in BG numbers.

Do you know about fortiflora? It's a probiotic that you can sprinkle on the FF to make it more palatable. I don't know what magic they put in it, but Sam would eat a shoe if I sprinkled it with fortiflora!

10. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

Quite possible. lol

Yea. That's the plan. I'm leaving for vacation Friday so I will keep the ratio 50% until we get back and I can monitor her closely and go to 100% FF.

I know about it but haven't been able to find it locally. Looks like I may need to order some online to have on hand in case she is extra stubborn one day.

11. Djamila

I order it from Amazon. There are 30 packets in a box, and I just sprinkle a little on it, kind of like salting food. So one packet lasts somewhere between 4-7 days depending on how heavy handed I've been and now picky he's been.

Your Sam is a girl? Oops. I was assuming boy! Mine is technically Samir Malachi Kitty, but I don't usually admit that. o_O

Caitlin M likes this.
  12. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

She is a girl and I'm used to people assuming she's a boy due to the name. :) We say her real name is Samantha but we have called her Sam since day one. Not quite as regal as your Sam's full name.;)

Djamila likes this.
  13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome to my home turf, Andrew! :bighug:
    Yes I switched to Lantus but Prozinc is my home :smuggrin:. One little thing to add to your Signature, still keep that you were on Vetsulin (I think) before, so we know previous part of SS numbers were on a different insulin :cat:

Catdaddy87 likes this.
  14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew! Welcome to you and Sam!

Catdaddy87 likes this.
  15. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

And I thought Prozinc was expensive! Lantus is twice the price of Prozinc.

srk4cats likes this.
  16. Djamila

Nah, it's a different concentration U40 vs U100, and if you order from the pharmacy in Canada it usually ends up being cheaper than Prozinc.

17. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

Gotcha. Can I order some Canadian Prozinc? lol

18. Djamila

I wish! Prozinc is crazy expensive here in Seattle. The cheapest I have found it is $165/vial. I hear it's cheaper in other parts of the country, but then shipping makes it about the same anyway.

You don't want to try three different types of insulin in a month? ;)

Your dose is so tiny, your prozinc is going to last forever anyway. I was on the same vial for almost six months and there is still a bunch in there. (PS That is a super bad idea - I should have replaced it a couple of months ago!)

19. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

20. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

If you live in Seattle, it's only a 2-hour drive to Canada. Why don't you get it there?

21. Djamila

I switched to Lantus as of today, and I did get that from Canada. I never really looked into getting Prozinc up there. I wonder if it is cheaper?

22. Yong & Maury GA

AlliVet with shipping is still about $40 less than what you paid for Prozinc, Djamila. Caitlin did order from them though, and so did Roberta. I wasn't able to find Prozinc in Canada :bookworm:

23. Kris & Teasel

I paid $125 CAD for ProZinc from my vet clinic.

24. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

It was $156 here locally.

25. Yong & Maury GA

Think Caitlin and I found similar prices at our previous Vet's around $120. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.