Just tested my cat at home first time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary&Maya, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary&Maya

Mary&Maya New Member

My cat has been diagnosed as diabetic for 3 weeks. Her first BG was over 600 at the vet, and she was started on 1 unit of vetsulin 2x daily (plus I switched her to canned food). A week later (2 weeks ago) she was tested again at the vet and her BG was 238. She was raised to 1.5 units. Last week she was tested at the vet and BG was 180, so she was kept on the 1.5 unit dose.

Today I was finally successful at home testing with a human meter. I tried in the past but couldn't get blood. Right now it is 45 minutes before she is due for insulin, and her BG is 122 on the human meter.

Should I give her a whole 1.5 units? I don't want to overdose her!

Thanks!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No...we don't recommended shooting Vetsulin if they aren't above 200 (at least until you have a lot of data on how your cat responds)

Lots of great information in this Beginners Guide to Vetsulin

Mary&Maya likes this.
  3. Mary&Maya

Mary&Maya New Member

Thank you so much! I'll read through the link.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Congrats on a successful test at home! :smuggrin:

Mary&Maya likes this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your first test! Testing is so important. I do not know how anyone could manage this without doing it.

6. Mary&Maya

Mary&Maya New Member

Thanks everyone for your support! So I didn't inject Maya last night due to the 112 BG, and fed her like normal. This morning I didn't test, I get up too early and didn't want to put her through it in my half-awake state. I fed her and only gave her 1 unit of vetsulin instead of the normal 1.5 units. I tested her just now before dinner - BG was only 70! I'm super excited about this. After dealing for 5 years with a diabetic dog I don't have the energy to deal with the cat, although of course I'll do what I have to do. I'm hoping she's headed toward remission with the change in diet. I'll test her tomorrow morning before breakfast.

I'm super excited. I hope this good trend continues!

JanetNJ and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Fingers and paws crossed ... :nailbiting:

Mogs

Mary&Maya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.