Just visited a holistic pet shop - confused?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Candy&Company, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I finally dragged my butt out of the house to walk (gotta get in a good Jane Fonda workout when the weather's nice right?) downtown to this holistic pet shop I found and... I'm confused.

I knew there were a ton of food companies out there but the majority of what this store carries I've never even heard of, in all the searching I've done so far! The owner was super nice and helpful, she's a 20+ year registered feline nutricionist and even knows a ton about raw diets so she SEEMS legit.

Has anyone had any experience with the brands below? I'll be calling companies to find out more info since she didn't know off-hand which brands/varieties within brands were under 10% carbs, etc.

Blackwood
    Champion Pet Foods
    First Mate
    Koha (they do ring a vague bell in my mind)
    Lotus
    RAWZ Pet Food (brand treats - freeze dried)
    RedBarn Pet Products INC (they had a lot of this)

There was even more but I can't remember, didn't take notes or pictures just relied on memory for this first foray into the shop. They had the usual too - Tiki, Wellness, Weruva, etc.

Unfortunately a lot of the brands I didn't know also made up the majority of their stock treats like freeze dried, etc. plus they had some human grade yeast sprinkle-products to entice them to eat, etc. I was so overwhelmed I didn't even get to browse much (or check labels) - will do better next time.

I got some more Tiki canned, some BFF which they haven't had yet (finding some with pumpkin in there sold me for my cat Mao since his stool needs firming up a bit) and some Wellness. 14 cans in all, 2 each - one of those "ok if they don't like it on the first try wait a few days and try the 2nd can to make sure" type deals. They were all on Dr. Lisa's list too, under 10% - the ones I bought I mean.

I just thought, between this place and other one I went to awhile back - all in walking distance even if it does kill me, might be a good option for winter time if I needed it. Any thoughts?

2. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

I'm not familiar with most of those brands but Cleo loves Red Barn lamb pâté. She doesn't get it often because the smell of it makes me gag.

3. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Ah bless, I got cut short this week on free time from working so I'll be company calling THIS coming week - but I don't mind smell too much, it's never really done anything to me other than alert me to something so I'm fortunate I guess, LOL. More research coming my way. :bookworm::blackeye:

According to the store owner, the brands have been around awhile - how long, I'm not sure, so was hoping to find people who'd tried them. Thanks for answering! I'll post again once I've gotten the numbers from the companies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.