? Just weird

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AlphaCat, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

The question is: what's going on? The science seems wonky here, so what am I missing?

Fabby was on a schedule of AM & PM PS were at noon and midnight. I usually feed additional meals in between at 6am and 5pm.

This morning I wasn't as attentive and Fabby AGAIN snuck into my crystals boys high carb food. I heard crunching and caught her, yelled and she got down. But she had a couple minutes of munching before I caught on to her. This was within an hour of her getting her low carb food this morning.
    I went about my day, and things got hectic and I missed her noon feeding and shot. So the last insulin she's had was midnight last night. I gave her her mid meal a little early since she missed her noon meal. She tested at 282 (which is about what she's been testing at WITH getting her normal insulin dose.) And then she only ate 1/4 of her low carb Friskies can. Where the past few days she's been eating 3/4 of a can each feeding. She is now off laying down, and I've left the food out for her, but she hasn't come back yet.
    Other side note: Before testing @4pm I noticed her pupils were at a normal cat size. Generally they are much larger than they are supposed to be.

What is going on?
    High carb food, no insulin in system, testing like there is insulin in her, no normal appetite 8 hours after high carb sneak, and pupils normalized.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hmm have you thought of trying the higher end of low carb foods? Like 8-10% range maybe? Remember, not all kitties do well on very low carb foods ;)

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo occasionally gets into the crunchies too. I don't yell at him. I just go and take it away. He can't help it, if he wants what the other kittehs are getting. Sometimes I chuckle because it is almost a game. He slyly watches for any opportunity to get a treat. Our poor sugar kittehs...they don't know.

4. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I haven't. I wanted the close to no carb so we could get this under control... it's just baffling because the under 6 carbs will lower her glucose by about 100.
    This may be something to consider.... grrrrr.

5. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I soooo get the desire to eat foods you've been forbidden to eat, so while I don't stay mad at her because I understand, it's still frustrating.
    She's getting sneaker out of necessity. I'm trying to foil her, and she's finding work arounds. I do love the cleverness of a cat. I admire it... but usually because I admire it, it's not going directly against me. With Fabby, I have a plan, a track to follow with constant monitoring that both costs my time, money, and energy. So I am understanding, but also frustrated.

But I expected a huge or at least big glucose spike. So I am even more frustrated what her blood did with all the carbs.

6. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

So, the day of the sneaky carbs and missed shot, her glucose came in numbers like she hadn't eaten any carbs and got her shot, so weird. Then about 24 hours of the carb sneak she pulls a number in the 500's.
    She hasn't wanted to eat her low carb food over the last 24 hours either. I do make sure she has eaten, and leave the food out until she does, but she doesn't want to.

I really like to understand the why of things, and this is just confusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.