Just wondering if Shiloh should have his numbers posted here

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Donna & Shiloh (GA), Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Hi all! Shiloh began Prednisone 10 mg back in the fall to improve his appetite and get him off of his tube feedings. He is now up to 7.5 units of lantus. Still peeing a lot, altho he has gained back almost a pound of the 3 he lost. The US showed enlarged abdominal lymph nodes, so he may have cancer. But he is eating. His numbers still aren't moving much. I haven't kept up with his spreadsheet. Vet said pred can make him insulin resistent. confused_cat Thanks, Donna

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hi Donna - you're welcome to post here.

Several of us have used Pred to help our kitties feel better -

and some have noted BG increases from the pred (and needed dose increases) --

Norton actually did not have an increase due to Pred, so we were lucky there.

If you want dosing guidance, we'll need to know what Shiloh's BG numbers look like recently - don't necessarily need to backfill months of data. I have not used Lantus, so I would not advise on that anyway.

however, I have heard that Lantus can sting in high doses and especially when cold, so you may consider a switch to Levemir. (you would not have to start over at 1 unit)

3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Hi Donna!

Of course you can post here!

Like Phoebe's Norton, my Fletcher needs Prednisone (7.5mg per day). I never noticed a need for more insulin because of it, and in fact, he's gone off insulin while on it. However, we're talking acrocats so the steroids may not have acted like they would in a "normal" diabetic. That being said, since steroids can lead to diabetes, insulin resistance is surely possible, as it sounds like may be the case with your Shiloh since he's been diabetic for so long. (8 years is awesome!!!!)

Welcome to our "family" and feel free to ask whatever you want or need to.

dancing_cat

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Donna,

Have you ever talked to Linda/Bear? I think Bear-man gets pred. She might know of some others as well. I'm sorry you're having a hard time with Shiloh. You've obviously done quite a lot for the boy. You can always post here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.