Kee Kee is plugged again and vomitting foam

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat and sweet max, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

The vet didn't like Miralax, but after reading your posts with positive results last weekend, I stopped the Lactulose all together (I had given him both in the past). And have given him Miralax and water mixed in his Fancy Feast twice a day. I couldn't prove he was pooping, but he was eating well, acting well, and had stopped that horrible cry/strain. It was such a relief.

...until this evening. He is trying so hard to go. He cries and strains. And he is vomitting up liquid foam.

Please, please tell me how the vets get it out of him. I need to help him. I'm afraid he will destroy his colon if he keeps this up. Should I try an enema, and if so, what kind, and how do I do it? Or should I try to give him another baby suppository. After he was given one last weekend, he passed two large marble size stools.

The last time, the vet had mentioned calling Cornell to see if they could do surgery. That can't even be considered.

I've been praying and praying for him. He doesn't deserve this.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Go to the nearest store and get a package of Fleet Liquid Glycerin Suppositories and use one, (or 2), on him IMMEDIATELY. See if that brings him some relief and helps him to poop. If it does not, please take him to the nearest E-Vet. Being plugged like that is dangerous!

Please keep us informed of his condition.

~M

3. Mary & Stormy Blue

Also, do you have subQ fluids available for him? Try giving him 100cc to get more water into his digestive system. More water in his colon = softer, easier to pass stool.

~M

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

IF its FLEETS make sure it has NO PHOSPHATES!!! Fleets is known to have phosphates in it!! Do not use it if it has phosphates!!

5. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

I have a couple of bags of fluid. Don't know if I have all of the pieces and parts. And don't know how to do it.

He stayed in the basement for a long time. I found black liquid here and there, but no stools. Then I couldn't find him for about an hour. Then he finally came up. His tush was dirty. He came to me, so I wrapped him in a fleece blanket, and held him for about 2 hours. He only groaned once. I am getting ready for bed, and he is waiting on my bed. He wants his TLC. He is a lover.

I am going to try to get some water into him, and pray that he can relax until morning. If he starts crying/moaning/groaning, I will go to the 24 hour store. Otherwise, I will love him until morning, and then call the vet.

There has to be a way to keep him "going". He has been good about the Laculose, and actually seems to like the food when water and Miralax is mixed in. The vet said it would be OK to give him a baby suppository, every couple of weeks. He had one last weekend, and that may have been what helped earlier in the week.

Thank you very much for your support. My heart is still so shattered, and my mind isn't far behind.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

Attached Files:

6. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

cat,

ask the vet about cisapride. it is a motility drug. sounds like that might be what kee kee needs along with the miralax or lactulose. for winnie I used cisapride, lactulose and psylllium all together !

the cisapride has to be made up at a compounding pharm. but would be way cheaper than the vet bills you have been having.

((((( cat ))))))

Here's a step by step on giving sub Q fluids :

http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weird/s ... juice.html

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

DCIN has some admin kits and needles. PM me with your address if you want some, and how many you need. For each bag, you need one admin kits and 10 needles.

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for KeeKee.

9. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

I took him to the vet. He is totally plugged, and his pooped filled color is huge in diameter. We talked about PTS. I said I couldn't. Of course, I know this isn't fair for him. I left him there to get cleaned out.

The tech showed me how to do Sub Q. She said they usually give a cat 100 to 150 ml. The vet suggested a high quality food for him. And agreed that I could try Cisapride. I have Domperidol. I wonder if that would work.

This is his last chance. The colon will not go back to normal size, and most likely has little or no motility. I need to figure out a way to ensure he poops every day. I have at least 8 boxes in the basement, but everyone uses them. The vet suggested I keep him in the bathroom. It is very small, and not a good quality of life.

It is warm enough that I could allow him to stay on the enclosed porch, which he loves. BUT it is full of stuff. Any angels out there that are unemployed, energetic, clutter busting, selling experts, and are looking for an unpaid challenge? A girl can dream.

One last thing. The vet said Kee Kee's breath smells horrible. His kidneys were fine in February, but she is going to test them again.

Thank you for your support.

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

10. Mary & Stormy Blue

Fleets Liquid Glycerin Suppositories do not have any phosphates. It is just glycerin and water.
    It is like a glycerin suppository, only mixed with a wee bit of water to make it soupy.

~M

11. Mary & Stormy Blue

Kee Kee will be in my thoughts and prayers.

~M

12. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

Oh, I feel so bad for you and Kee Kee. I thought for sure the Miralax would work. I will keep my fingers crossed that everything will work out. Please keep us posted. :sad:

13. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

[ And agreed that I could try Cisapride. I have Domperidol. I wonder if that would work.
    /i]

Cat. Domperidone is not yet approved for beans or animals in the US

That said....... the merck vet. manual does discuss it in their prokinetic med section.
    Basically it works on the upper GI tract like reglan ( gastric emptying issues) and does not work in the colon.
    It also did not work well in cats. I'd try the cisapride. It really really helped Winnie.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 190307.htm

Hope Kee kee feels better soon.

there is a yahoo group for mega colon that has some good info that might help you help kee kee.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline_Megacolon/

You might pm jojo. she had one of her cat's operated on for megacolon and it worked wonderfully.

best,

14. Mary & Stormy Blue

15. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Continued prayers Cat. Poor KeeKee I hope he feels better soon. :(

16. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Kee Kee Is Home - Update

I brought him home yesterday, but was unable to connect to the Internet.

I got a prescription for Cisapride. Hope to get it filled soon. Is there a preferable way to get it compounded? In addition to this, I will also be giving him Miralax or Lactulose. I have a large unopened bottle of Lactulose, so I'm leaning that way. However, if board experience prefers Miralax, I'm in.

I will also be giving him daily Sub q's. I watched the vet tech do it, and it looked easy enough, considering my "tenting" experience with Sweet Max. Kee will not be eating FF any more. The vet wants him on a higher quality, higher fiber food. I had picked up some Proplan pouches (free with coupons) for the shelter. The vet thinks it will be a good choice for Kee Kee. I have approximately 37 more "free" coupons, but it has proved impossible to find around here.

I have to ensure he poops every day, which will be our greatest challenge. I have several litter boxes in the basement, and I can't tell who does what. Luckily the weather has improved, so I hope to let Kee Kee stay out on the porch alone during the day, and hope he does his business then.

This is his last chance. He is only 5-6 years old, and healthy otherwise. It is really sad to have to consider letting him go due to constipation. It appears he definitely has Megacolon. And even though he doesn't complain until he is packed solid, he must feel miserable long before then. And these trips to the vet are only about a month apart. Care Credit took another hit yesterday. But darn them, they want me to pay the back. These multiple loans with multiple due dates are getting confusing.

Thank you for your support. Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.