Kee Kee's Megacolon and Sub Q's

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat and sweet max, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

He is not acting well; was hiding this morning; and is now laying on my bed, but when I gently touched his stomach, he screamed. I gave him 100 ml Sub Q's about 2 hours ago. Can I safely give him another 100 ml now?

Earlier in the week, he got caught in the common foyer for the night. The foyer, including the only nice piece of furniture I have (family heirloom), was covered with black liquid, stool, vomit, and pee. He was not proud of it, poor guy. I wonder if that aggravated his constipation issues. In addition, I let him slide on the daily Sub Q's, but checked daily for dehydration. In other words, I let him down.

Will giving him more Sub Q tonight help him or hurt him? Is there anything else I can do to get him back on track? His butt area has been a mess off and on for the past week.

I'm exhausted. Thank you!

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

cat,

i would not give more right now. can't really play catch up .

what other meds you giving him? have you been keeping up the cisapride ? and lactulose and such?

does he have any heart issues or kidney?

how late you up tonight?

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh No, I am sorry he is still having difficulty. (((((((((((((((((((((((((CAT)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

You have had a lot on your plate, so dont beat yourself up too much.

4. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Sorry. My head has been literally spinning tonight. I left Kee and Max on the bed, and laid down on the couch, and fell asleep. Kee Kee is still sleeping in my spot. And Max is helping me type this.

Yes. Lactulose and Cisapride. Need to get more C. Thanks for letting me know I can't give him more fluids right now. Will give more in a.m. Praying he will be OK. He such a good boy.

Thank you hugs. Good night.

C

5. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

hey Cat,
    I haven't been posting lately, but today I noticed your post on health about megacolon and have a kitty who has battled this for years. We've used a long list of remedies (you name it), but have had pretty good luck with miralax, subQs- daily lactated ringers soln and home warm water enemas as needed (determined by tummy palpation). If you need any help or suggestions, I'd be happy to share our experiences or help in any way.

Cody also has acro and an enlarged heart.

Hope he's feeling better.

6. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Kee Kee is still having problems. His behind is covered in stool. And he was in the same cat bed he was in when I left. He didn't come out to eat (usually the first one), and he didn't come when I called.

He didn't run, when I went to pick him up, so I was able to give him almost 120 ml of Sub Q's. He groaned a few times.

Any suggestions? Should I keep giving him his Lactulose, 3cc bid? A few months ago, when the vet wanted to put him down, I said I wanted to try one more time. And he has been doing OK. Sometimes, a dirty butt, but I'd find his dark stool, and it wouldn't be rock hard.

Anyways, the vet said I shouldn't be afraid of sticking my finger way up there to grab stool. Scares me. What do you think? Should I try that? Inject a little olive oil or something in his butt? Try a baby suppository?

It's a little encouraging that liquid is getting out, but the stool may be huge and rock hard. Any ideas how to soften it, if it is already rock hard? The vet said before that if he pushes too hard, he could rupture his bowel. I don't have a good feeling about this.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

7. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Cat, I sent you a long PM with a lot of good info.

The fact that he is not eating is nothing to mess around with.

I would lube his bottom with vaseline tonight,

Make an appointment for tomorrow, and get the vet to TEACH you how to do a warm water enema at home, and supply you with the enema syringe/tube.

Then I would start using Miralax and fluids daily.

Also you keep mentioning black stool- I seem to remember that could be the lactulose, but I think it also could be blood, something the vet should evaluate.

8. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Thank you very much!

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.