Keep Testing or Wait Until This Evening?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom2Missy, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom2Missy

Mom2Missy Member

Missy is really keeping me on my toes. She is currently using ProZinc. For the past 4 days, she has been in the pinks (with one red) in the mornings. I've given her 0.2-0.3 units after breakfast. At night, she's in the blues so she hasn't been getting evening injections. Well, this morning, she's still in the blue. She's currently about 27 hours out from her last insulin injection.

+22 166 (food kept out over night, so unsure when she last ate)
    +24 173 (two hours fasting)
    +27 153 (two hours after eating)

I've never really had this problem before, so I'm unsure of what to do. Do I keep testing to see if I get a shootable number sometime today or do I just wait until tonight when the evening shot would be due? I don't want her to go without insulin if she needs it, but I don't want to keep testing her every couple of hours if there is no need for it. I would just shoot a lower dose, but she's already getting 0.2units. I can't go much lower than that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it's interesting set of numbers but i don't think you could give a token dose. .2, after all, the idea would be too keep her down right...and not have her hit those highs.

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hi Krista,

I am not familiar with ProZinc, but to keep Missy on the same testing/shooting schedule I would just wait until tonights regular time to test. If you were to test some time today and give a shot, it would throw her schedule off.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

paige, pzi does'nt work like lantus in that way. we don't need to follow a strict schedule.
    it would be totally ok to break schedule and shoot now.

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thanks ((Lori)). That was what I wasn't sure about ;-)

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

What about trying just a drop of insulin? If you pull in insulin and push the plunger back in just so it is touching the "0" line - that would be less than 0.2u of insulin (I am assuming you are using u100s with that dose). There are plenty of prozinc people that give a shot like once a day once kitty gets to this type of point. The goal is to keep them below 150 by giving a tiny boost every now and again.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

get out the glasses AND the magnifying glass :lol:

8. Mom2Missy

Mom2Missy Member

I can give it a shot. I'm going to test her again in about 10 minutes to see where she's at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.