Keeping cat still for glucose.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sohalia, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sohalia

Sohalia Member

I test my Nami about once a week as per her vet's request. I do it more often than that to be safe, about every other day at the beginning, now I do it every 3-4 days. She still hasn't gotten used to it. She used to be VERY squirrel-y about medication, and I slowly weaned her up to being fine with it over time. When it comes to pricking her ears for glucose however, I just can't get her to be used to it.

I've tried waiting until she's calm and sleepy, I've petted her, given her treats, waited until she was distracted with food. And of course, the tried and true method of wrapping her in a blanket/towel. She just bunny hops out, and of course if I restrain her too much her levels will just be erroneously high. She hates being held in general, and will not let anyone hold her or pick her up, so getting wrapped up in a towel just stresses her to the max.

None of this has worked, and of course now every time she sees me grab the alphatrak she's on guard. As a result, I've been unable to get her glucose levels for over a week. Even when I moved the monitor and pulled it out from a different location of the house she notices.

I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep a squirrel-y cat still?

2. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

My Princess was difficult too, she was never held against her wishes (she always came to me and cuddled), I picked one piece of furniture she did not care for (funny thing now is she lays on it all the time now), I bought a 1/4" thick piece of turkey at the deli and chopped it into squares as a treat (freezing it and pulling out a few days at a time to refrigerate), I get the treats out, get the glucose monitor ready with the strip in the slot but not pushed in, get the lancet needle ready, tissue out for blood cleanup, lights on and glasses ready so I can see, I put the bag of turkey on the arm opened, place her between the loveseat arm and myself (easier to hold and comforts her), I pet her, try to comfort her, and rub her ear for better blood flow, slide the strip in and make sure its ready, prick her ear (between the edge and the vein - use light to see vein) and tilt the meter and try to hit the blood on the thin edge tilting it down more towards the sample box until I get a success beep (usually wicks up from thin edge) - try not to hit the vein as I was told that is part of the ear that is painful to cats.

It took a few weeks for me to get my head around it all and make it smooth and less stressful for my Princess, but we are finally there and both manage it pretty well, now she sits there for the most part and when done jumps down and waits for her treat. Stick with it, it will get easier.

PS: It is very important to glucose your pet at least before every shot!!!!!! and really need to do an every 2 hour curve after the AM shot every few days and an occasional after PM shot checks a few times over night. BUT AT LEAST THE BEFORE EVERY MEAL so you do not send her into Hyperglycemia.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It’s hard when they aren’t cooperative. I am lucky my diabetic is chill... but several of my others would be REALLY hard to test if I had to. All I can say is give a treat only for a test.

4. Sohalia

Sohalia Member

It's okay, she's not on insulin yet, so when I take the glucose doesn't matter too much. I should try turkey or something that isn't her regular treats, though! That may help! Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.