Kefir for Cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dusty Bones, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

I did something interesting that might help some cat owners with cats that have nausea, upset stomachs and diarrhea. My civie Beni was suffering from diarrhea of unknown origin, the vet couldn't find a problem and antibiotics helped for a few days only to make it worse. So I did some research and found that plain Kefir is safe for cats and dogs. I gave it a try, hoping he would just lick it off a spoon, some cats apparently do, but he didn't so I added a few DROPS of Kefir to his FF and mixed it in. He ate his FF with no problems but continued to "meatloaf" and seem nauseous for a couple more days. The sudden probiotics in Kefir might have initially made him feel bloated or more nauseous but after a two day treatment of two drops in each meal he suddenly bounced back with lots of energy and some great looking poop! LOL. My 14 year old boy was suddenly chasing Dusty around and being a young cat again. At this point I give him a few drops in one meal a week for maintenance and he's doing great. Dusty likes it too with no ill effects. It's worth a try for some of you desperately needing help to settle your kitties stomach. I used plain Lifeway Kefir available at most grocery stores. It's full of excellent probiotics for you and your kitty.

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

can you post a pic of the bottle type you use that is safe? just looked it up and there seems to be lots of different versions.
    gonna try this with my little tortoise female who has been having issues ever since eating YA food back in sept/oct of last year.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I use it for myself, hadn’t thought about using it for the cats!

Dusty Bones likes this.
  4. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Just make sure it's the "plain" flavored, it doesn't have sugar or fruit added.

Attached Files:

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Make sure you go easy in the beginning, just a few drops or licks if they like it straight up. I don't believe it'll harm them but it could be a shock to the system and cause bloating/gas just like it would for you or me if you don't normally drink it.

Sylvie likes this.
  6. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

thank you, our local walmart has the plain (label looks different but, seems to still be the same as yours) so going to go get some in a few. how big is you beni? my cocoa is only 7.5lbs so want to compare so i don't give her too many drops and make her worse.

7. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Beni is 11lbs but it's such a small amount that should be good to start off with. Give it to her a couple of days and then stop to let her digestive system equalize and see how she does.

Sylvie likes this.
  8. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

This is Beni my civie, same color and Cocoa.

Attached Files:

Sylvie likes this.
  9. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

IMG_0516.JPG
    he so reminds me of my old cat jasmine that passed away 2yrs ago. a cutie, i love black cats!

this is my tiny cocoa, she's around 9 yrs old

Dusty Bones likes this.
  10. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

I love her fur. I used to have a calico named Justice that had the same face.

Sylvie likes this.
  11. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Bronx is also using 1tsp Lifeway Kefir 1x/day. I started low and gradually built up to 1tsp. He did lick it up at first but now have to mix it with his food.

Dusty Bones likes this.
  12. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

i think it's starting to help cocoa, haven't caught her going poop yet so don't know if it has firmed up any but, i definitely noticed her litter box visits have dramatically been reduced today for i haven't heard her constantly scratching the litter boxes sides most of the day when trying to poop. i have been given her about 1/3 of a glass dropper (about 7 drops) by mouth once a day for now.. Tux had diarrhea the other day so i gave him some too fri-sat and he is back to normal but, his BG was higher than normal tonight, probably just a coincidence though for i don't see how so little can spike it up when carbs are 12g per 1/4 serving of a 32oz bottle.

Decided to drink some myself so it doesn't go to waste, was pretty yuck (too tart for my liking) but, sure was yummy after i added a drop of sweetner in it. think gonna ditch my overpriced probiotic capsules and start drinking this from now on. thanks for sharing info about it :)

13. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

I'm so glad it's helping. Overall it'll make your kitty more healthy and able to withstand other issues. Because it's already fermented, it'll last a long time in the fridge. If you want some for you try the flavored ones, strawberry, blueberry, they're very good.

Sylvie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.