Kelly has asthma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dale, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale

Dale Member

She's been coughing ever since I brought her home from Venita bringing her with her on vacation about a month ago. No nasal discharge, eye problems, had a feeling it might be asthma. Took her in to vet today. She says Kelly is probably 7-8 years old, not 3-4 because of heart sounds and eyes. But asthma was diagnosed. So I get to learn yet ANOTHER illness! I do have an Aerokat but will need to get the albuterol and Flovent to use with it. Today she got a half of a half of a dose of dex. Doesn't seem to be affecting her bg at all but the trip to the vet has her mistrusting me. She's a timid little girl. She's on Lantus at .75 and doing pretty good.

Hadn't updated you all since I got her so thought it was time. All inall, she's doing well and I hope she'll be even better once I learn all about asthma.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

fwiw, i think there's some flovent posted in supply closet

poor kelly. but no better hands to be in when one is sick than yours.

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that your kitty has asthma! I am glad that you already have the aerokat and are starting flovent soon! Here are some tips I learned with this illness:

* It is completely controllable and kitty can live an absolutely normal life with treatment!
    * flovent is MUCH cheaper if you order from 4 corners pharmacy (roughly $44 a canister for 220 vs $200 here in the states)
    * avoid clay litters if at all possible! We've had best luck with Sweetscoop and World's Best Clay Litter. Both are low dusting litters
    * try to find out your cat's triggers. (Pollen, litter, dust, air freshener, cleaning solutions ... etc)
    * join an feline asthma support group through Yahoo Groups such as Feline Asthma Relief and Feline Asthma Inhaled Meds for support.

Good luck and keep us posted! Hopefully I will see you over in one of the two yahoo support groups!

4. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Dale sent you a pm, I have flovent for you.

5. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

PM Suncat. She's not here much anymore, but I know she has experience with a asthmatic.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

If you need any help, let me know. I'm dealing with this with Sydney.

I buy the flixotide (generic flovent) from 4 corners: heres the link

http://www.4cnrs-asthma-allergy.com/flovent.html

I've also got extra ventolin I can send you. PM you're addy and I'll get some in the mail this week.

7. Dale

Dale Member

Thank you for your advise, links, and possible supplies for Kelly. I can't do much research on the web from my home computer...too old,dialup connection so will get on all this tomorrow at work. My vet recently went to a conference in Boston and one of the classes was on asthma. She's going to print up her notes for me and fax them and I'll share with you all who are dealing with this.

I use Equine Fresh litter which is similar to Feline Pine without the pine smell. I just dumped Fresh Start scoopable cause even I didn't like the perfumy smell. But maybe plain old clay litter will be best in her room. I don't use aerosol sprays, Pledge, any cleaning product besides vinegar, well a little Nature's Miracle on spots areas. Don't know what her circumstances in the rescue group where she came from nor how long this has gone on. No notes on her medical records about coughing. My vet is excited about me using the Aerokat so I can show other clients how good it works and hopefully get them talked into using it on their cats. Right now I'm putting it up to her face to get her used to the mask.

I haven't heard her cough today so assume the low dose of dex has helped.

Thank you again for your support and knowledge. I WILL be calling on you as I learn the treatment.

Dale

8. Kelly & Oscar

If I remember right, the dex shot will give you a month of relative control. The flovent takes 2-4 weeks to build up in the system, so by the time the dex wears off, the flovent should be controlling things. As for litter - clay is usually the worst thing to go with. It is horribly dusty, and any spec can expand in the cat's system to at least 3 times its original size - very bad for lungs! That pine-like litter without the pine smell sounds like it could work very well for your kitty's lungs. I have heard that pine scented litter can cause issues for some kitties because of the strong smell.

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I just a feline asthma group and it's been a tremendous wealth of information. The group is felineasthmarelief@yahoogroups.com

I got this from this group:

[​IMG]

Hope it helps and send me your addy if you want the albuterols.

And clumping clay litter without any fragrance is best for asthma cats. The wheat, paper and corn ones aren't good for them - as they can breathe in that dust that will aggravate the condition.

I use the petsmart brand fragrance free - exisicat or something like that.

10. Kelly & Oscar

Ah yes, I remember this discussion on the list from a few weeks ago now. And I remember you (or someone else) suggesting the petsmart brand. Myself, I got a HUGE reduction in symptoms and lung sounds when we switched to Sweetscoop, and I like the World's Best Cat Litter even better for him actually. I know WBCL is made from corn stuffs, but it dusts even less than SS, and way less than the clay Fresh Step IMO. I know each kitty has a different set of demands for litter, just like with FD, but the main rule is to stay away from most (notice I didn't say all :smile: ) clay litters because of the dusting/silicone and the extreme fragrance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.