Keto-diastix - both urine glucose and ketones are negative - does that mean anything?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cinnie Cole, Dec 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I have been checking for ketones and urine glucose for months. Ketones are always negative; but now that we have switched Zoot! off Purine DM to only Weruva Chicken Frick a Zee (and a little Weruva "Splash Dance" treat at night), his urine glucose has been negative in 3 of the last 6 days (the other three days, I was not able to test).

Is this unusual? Is it a good sign? His numbers are generally dropping so we know that is good.

I am just wondering if the keto-diastix readings mean anything.

Thanks!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Not sure why you are testing for ketones. If your cat has ever had DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) or been positive for ketones in the past, then yes it's recommended to test for ketones on an ongoing basis. in Zoot!'s case, I don't see the need. Is it something your vet recommended?

The negative glucose in the urine means the BG levels are low enough that Zoot's kidneys are not filtering out so much glucose that it shows up in the urine. So that usually happens somewhere around BG readings 180-250.

It's a positive sign that the diet change is making a difference. Increased insulin dose is also making a positive difference. Good job on getting a few more mid-cycle readings over the last 10 days or so, because it's really how low a dose takes Zoot! in the +4 to +7 timeframe that shows if the dose is appropriate or not.

Maybe try for a regular before bed test if you can?

Still the need to give insulin, as those BG readings are still too high.

p.s. See on your SS that your new vet recommends the Alphatrak. Do they understand the cost ($2/strip or more) of test strips for that meter vs a human glucometer? If cost is no object, then certainly go ahead and make the meter switch. Keeping your old human glucometer around as a backup in case you run low on test strips for the Alphatrak is a good idea, especially as you can't just run out to your local pharmacy to pick some up.

3. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I really appreciate your response

Our old vet recommended testing only with Keto diastix and no BG testing, which is one of many reasons why we found a new vet. After one reading with trace ketones last May, I just continued testing urine when I could get it, since it is non-invasive and his peeing habits are pretty regular. I was already doing BG testing, based upon joining this group, with my husband's Onetouch Verio.

I could probably get a before bed BG test. When we showed our new vet the FDMB site and protocols, he said the ReliOn Micro was fine. So we are not switching to the AlphaTrak after all.

Zoot! is doing well we don't plan to alter anything unless his nadirs warrant an increase or decrease. We have no intention of stopping insulin - that was not the objective of this post - I just wanted to understand what no BG in urine meant. Thanks again.

4. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I test Freckles for Ketones although she has never had them before as if she does develop them, I want to catch it quickly. The strips are cheap, it's easy to test for and gives me peace of mind - I test her maybe once/week as I don't often catch her in the LB often.

Here is some info from one of the stickies

"Ketones in the urine, as detected by urine testing stix or a blood ketone testing meter[1], may indicate the beginning of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), a dangerous and often quickly fatal condition caused by low insulin levels combined with certain other systemic stresses. DKA can be fixed if caught quickly."
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketones

Do I need to worry about kitty developing ketones if kitty is OTJ (off the juice) or when blood sugar numbers are not high?
    Yes, even if a cat is not on insulin, he is still a diabetic, and it is possible that ketones and DKA can develop especially if he is skinny and not eating right. Sometimes, cats blood sugar goes into the "normal" range for the wrong reasons (like poor appetite or illness) and they actually still do need insulin to help them gain weight, heal and prevent ketones.

The basic recipe for developing DKA = an insufficient supply of insulin + inappetance + infection OR other systemic stresses.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Gotcha. Some vets think that if BG numbers get below 250 then there is no need to give insulin anymore so wanted to make sure Zoot! would get his insulin.

Didn't see the trace ketones on your SS, but I see that you only started to keep the SS since the end of July this year. Makes sense now. Always nice to check for ketones if your cat has had them before and as you said, it's easy to do. Maybe insert a row, at the beginning of the SS. Having a note on the SS, before the July 20, 2019 BG reading to say there had been trace ketones back in May.

Keep on getting better Zoot! and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It is always good to test for ketones in the urine if the cats numbers are higher than normal. No glucose in the test means that there are periods of time when the BG is below the renal threashold which is good. Keep testing frequently

I notice you have not put a dosing method in your signature. Are you following TR or SLGS. If not, I would suggest you have a look at them and choose one. You will get better results. I’m very glad to see you are testing before every shot. :)

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  7. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I don't intend to stop testing for ketones - if nothing else it is reassuring.

I started using SLGS just days ago, so still getting acclimated to it. I am trying to get AMPS, afternoon nadir and PMPS. Maybe now I will add a pre-bedtime BG as well. I will probably do a curve after we have been at this dose for a week.

He is dealing with diarrhea (we think it was a result of transitioning too quickly from DM wet to the Weruva wet) and our vet suggested we give a higher fiber wet food diet like w/d or Hill's Biome, but they are really high in carbs, so we decided to try small amounts of pumpkin first with his food (s. boulardii was having only a minor positive effect) before doing anything drastic with his food.

All in all though, he is doing well.

Thanks!

8. Deb & Wink

Good decision on not going with the W/D or the Biome, as both are very high in carbs which a cat doesn't need. The W/D was what my cat Wink was eating when I took him in as a foster from one of the local shelters. Best thing I ever did was get him switched to the low carb canned foods (he was a dry food addict).

He took a lot of time to get switched over, but during the transition, his BG levels kept dropping and dropping and I had to keep lowering the insulin dose. He went OTJ (off the juice, insulin being the juice) and remained diet controlled for the rest of his life.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes pumpkin is good.
    Stay with low carb food. and yes getting a before bed test is very important.
    well done.

10. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

We did just that - giving 1 tbsp in AM & PM to Zoot! and remaining on the Weruva. In two days, we seem to be at the "no stinky poops" phase, but I still have actually not seen him poop so will be staying on this track for a while - talk about fast acting. We so wanted to keep him at a status quo with food and insulin and he numbers look pretty good for the past few days. All very encouraging. Thanks for your reassurances.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Glad the pumpkin is working. I have always found it very good. let us know how you go with your curve. Always try and get a before bed test in if you can to keep Zoot safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.