keto testing which brand to buy?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tajana340, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Hi everyone, I tried looking at other posts and i know someone told me this before but, i have to ask again, which brands should i consider getting. I really need to order them.

David

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

The Bayer ketostix are what you want, and almost every drug store carries them They are usually kept behind the pharmacy counter. There are also ketodiastix, which give a glucose reading in addition to the ketone reading. I have found urine glucose testing unproductive so I wouldn't bother with it.

Gia & Quirk (GA)

Guilt trips are a detour from life

3. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

The ones I've used are these, by Bayer:

[​IMG]

They are about $8 for 50 strips... But there might be other brands out there in the US... I've not seen any in our shops. They are a commonly used item so your local pharmacy will sell you whichever ones they carry... I've not heard anything about any brand being better than another.

You put the end in the urine stream or puddle... then after the wait period of about 15 seconds (check the instructions) you compare the end pad with the colours on the bottle.

[​IMG]

This example shows two sticks but you only have to use one.

To be able to use the puddle of urine from the box, test it first. Use the first strip with tap water and see what the tip looks like after the waiting period. Then take a bit of litter in a bowl and put water in it so it puddles. Take a second strip and dip that in the water in the litter. If the colour of the two tips match at the 15 second mark (sometimes they get darker over a few more seconds so try to do them as closed together in time as possible) then your litter does not affect the strips and you are free to use the puddle of urine in the litter box.

Alternatively, you will have to put something underneath Spicey when she pees or use very little litter with a clean container in the box. I've tested plenty of clumping litters and not found one to be a problem... But do test your own.

4. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I don't think I can get the bayer ketostix here in the US. I tried a google search. Any suggestions from the hocks link tests?
    David

5. Victoria & Sundance

Gia is from the US and said she used the Bayer ones shown.

Go to through the Hocks link and plug into the search ketostix and it will bring you to this page: Bayer ketostix on Hocks

But if money is tight, you might want to go to the pharmacy to get the box of 50 for less money, for the time being.

6. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Hi David,

You can get the Bayer Ketostix or Ketodiastix at any pharmacy - CVS, Walgreen's, your grocery store pharmacy, and probably at Hocks.com if you want to order them that way.
    You need to ask the pharmacist or the tech because they are usually kept behind the counter.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

7. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

yes, the Bayer ketostix are what I buy at Walgreens in Chicago. You do have to get them at the pharmacy counter but that seems to be the big brand.

8. tajana340

tajana340 Member

thanx guys i will have the test soon.

9. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I've used different brands over the years, and never noticed any particular difference between one brand or another. Also, being kept behind the counter may b a state or regional thing, or maybe it's left up to the discretion of the pharmacy manager; the places that I've tried to buy them (MD, ,VA NJ, PA) all had them freely available in the diabetes section of the pharmacy, not stuck behind the counter.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

DAvid,

Go to the diabetes section of the pharmacy and look around. If you cannot find them, then ask someone where they are.

I got mine at Walgreens and have seen them at Walmart, Rite Aid, CVS.

they are widely available. Did you only look online, or did you go to the store?

11. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I just ordered through hocks the ketostix. Yeah. I don't know how long it will take though to be delivered. D

12. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Mostly they are behind the counter because of shoplifters on Atkins.

13. Victoria & Sundance

Nice one, Gia...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.