Ketone 1.1 this morning

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NicoleC46237, Apr 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

Lou got a fur shot last night so I checked his ketones this morning and he's at 1.1 - blood test not urine. He's not acting off other than he's less graceful but he's been having that issue since he first started losing weight before his diagnosis. Do I just monitor still at this point?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Does Lou have a history of ketones? There is no mention of it in your signature. I would offer extra food and fluids today.
    And retest the ketones later in the day today.

3. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

No, he hasn't ever had an issue with them before but I was trying to stay pro-active since he didn't get his insulin last night. :)

I made sure he had extra water in his pate this morning and I'll retest his ketones later today. Thanks!!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Excellent idea to test for ketones if you did a fur shot.
    Also a good idea to test for them when the BGs are higher and kitty is not regulated.

5. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Do take another test when you can. That will also make sure the strip was accurate. 1.1 on a blood ketone test is in the "monitor closely if no symptoms" bit. If he goes over 1.6, that's considered an emergency and time to go to the vet. If he gets that high, I would take him to the vet even with no symptoms, as ketones can cause serious issues very quickly.

6. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

I see his ketones at +6 were .4, which on a blood meter is a perfectly normal reading. Yay for Lou!

Deb & Wink and NicoleC46237 like this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

Can you explain what that means? I'm not quite clear on it.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When you see any ketones, it means "pay attention". You should be testing for ketones daily and making sure he is eating and hydrated and getting his insulin. These trace ketones can be managed at home. Monitor daily, make sure the numbers are not increasing. 2.4 and above (or above trace on a dipstick) means time to see the vet. Ketones can go from trace to high rather quickly.

NicoleC46237 and Deb & Wink like this.
  10. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

.4 seems to be a rather "normal" reading for a diabetic cat. not a trace reading as you would get with a urine stick. Makes sense, as it is stated in the Weingart article (at the bottom of the link in previous post.), their non-ketoic diabetic cats tested anywhere from .0 to .9. Their ketosis cats tested between .6 and 6.8. And their cats in a state of ketoacidosis tested between 3.8 - 12.2.

The article goes on to say that the blood ketone test is more accurate than the dipstick method.
    "The results of the present study revealed that the determination
    of urine ketone bodies using only the nitroprusside
    reaction can underestimate the number of cats with ketosis.
    In 8 cats with a β-HB concentration of 0.2–0.9 mmol/l, the
    dipstick reaction was negative. The dipstick reaction was
    lower in 5 (1+/β-HB: 5.1–7.6 mmol/l; 2+/β-HB: 12 mmol/l)
    and higher in 3 (3+/β-HB: 4.9-6.5 mmol/l) cats compared to
    the β-HB concentration. The quantitative measurement of β-
    HB (blood ketone levels) is more useful for follow-ups of cats with DK or DKA
    compared to the dipstick method."

The article goes on to state that a cat with blood ketone levels of 2.4 or less, is unlikely to have DKA.
    "In cats with a β-HB concentrati
    < 2.4 mmol/l, DKA is very unlikely."

Personally, I would still take any cat with a blood ketone level of above .6 to the vet to be checked out, as this seems to be the threshold where cats might begin to show symptoms of DKA, if thy are going to get it, and we all know that once those symptoms are present, it's a race against time to help alleviate the situation. Certainly any cat with a blood ketone reading at 3.8 or above should see a vet with all haste, as that is the threshold for DKA, though some cats can go all the way up to 6.8 without having DKA.

NicoleC46237 and Deb & Wink like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.