? Ketone blood test meters

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Molly and Sammy, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

I know I should be checking for ketones, though thankfully Sammy did not show problems when tested at the vet two months ago. I don't think I could capture urine so am looking at blood ketone meters. Can anyone recommend an affordable one? Checking Amazon, I see several options, most in the $50-$60 range with 10 strips included. Also, how often should I be testing for ketones? Thank you.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Molly and Sammy likes this.
  3. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I think I have seen somewhere on this site that you should test at least weekly. It really depends. If your cat's glucose is in higher numbers, you need to test more than if it is not. If your cat has ever had an issue with ketones, you need to test more often than if not.

I have been fortunate and we have never had any ketone issues, and Mia stays in very good numbers these days, so I'll confess that I have not tested for ketones in a long time.

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Any time a cat is in higher numbers, it's a good idea to check ketones a time or two a week. If they're not eating well or seem to not feel well, daily. It's the first clue that you're heading down a dangerous path and need to visit the vet as something's brewing. It could potentially be the beginning of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) or Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA).

Molly and Sammy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.